Sprockets

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
wilko

Sprockets

Post by wilko »

I have asked this question on another site but here goes. Have any of you had experience of premature wear with their replacement burman gearbox sprockets? mine has hooked appreciatively in 3000 mls. with copious lubrication and correct up and down play(rigid model) It's bad enough having to take all the primary gear off, but with a CP box of course you have to extract the mainshaft as well to swap sprockets. Surely they lasted longer than this from the factory? The rear sprocket and chain were new as well and the back sprocket has bugger all wear.Anyone know if i can re harden my next new one to be sure. Who can do a rockwell test for hardness?? I realise it has a harder time than the other sprockets due to its circumference but i'm thinking they just dont make them as hard as they should. Peeved!!
GSAX1

Sprockets

Post by GSAX1 »

Hi Wilko.

I installed a new 17 teeth sprocket two years ago, and have over 6000 miles on it now. When I checked this winter it showed no wear whatsoever. I seem to recall I bought it from Russel Motors.

Seems you got a faulty item, they shouldn't wear that fast.

Michael
Biscuit
Deceased

Sprockets

Post by Biscuit »

Back in the 50/60's re-newing sprockets was, as I recall, unheard of.
I covered 48,000 miles on a G3 and 35,000 on a Rapide without the need for new sprockets.