Advice on buying my first lightweight

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
andy1b

Post by andy1b »

What's wrong with the 250 models?!
I am new to the classic scene and want an introduction bike that will be kind to me as I learn the mechanical basics.
Frank Westworth, in his classic bike guide book,is not very complimentary about the 250 models.
Should I steer clear and go for a BSA?
Could anybody give me some advice on buying my first 250?

Thanks very much,andy1b
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Why not a G3LS great bike easy to ride and there are plenty about.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Most people seem to have a down on lighweights. They do seem to be a bit cheapish when studied thoroughly, and the apparent unit engine isn't, the gearbox is separate. They do seem to have gained in popularity in recent years. I have ridden the 350 version and it went like stink and handled very well.

Tolly

Post by Tolly »

I own a G5 which is the 350, although a very good bike and lovely ride. As a new-comer to the classic world I would go, as Merlin suggested, for the G3. The reason for this is that there are a few anomalies with the lightweights, such as the gearbox, which requires more routine maintenance, the G3 is probably the better bike to start off with (in my opinion). I hope this helps.

Regards, Tolly.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
itma

Post by itma »

My advice to anyone contemplating one of these for a first bike is to forget it.
All the above is quite relevant, more or less, and these bikes can be made ok.

BUT these bikes have had a very hard life, and most will, for various reasons, been owned, messed with by 40 years of plonkers, I dont know why, probably because no one else wanted them.
I have just done a rebuild on one of these, it was a nightmare and cost 700£ and that was not for what I would class as an overhaul.
Ask yourself, can you machine a new piston to fit? thats the sort of thing you'll need to do.
You will never recoup your outlay.
If you can find one rebuilt from a trusted source who you can go back to with a problem, Ok, otherwise look else where.
If you must, go for the 350.
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

Having started with a L/W and now moved on to a H/W ,I would agree with all of the above,unless of course you are getting one from a known source.As Ken says above,because these were usually starter 'bikes for teenagers at the time,they have usually been thrashed and neglected.A G3 or Mod.16 is a much better bet,and I would reckon a better investment as well.....unless ,of course you have a chance of a good 250 at cheap money.Whatever you decide,keep in touch,this club and forum,are, in my opinion,worth buying an AMC machine for,even if it is just for the technical back-up...and banter.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
chris kelly

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Andy,

I owned a Lightweight. Bought it about ten years ago.I
think 'the plonkers' were probably the teenagers of the sixties and early seventies who messed about on a range of 250's. and then never had a bike again. The Government restricted learners to maximum 250 cc sometime in the 60's , I think.
The lightweight was in its CSR form, I believe, desiigned to appeal to young riders because of this cc limit. And, Peter Williams and Tony Woods of course, did win the Thruxton 500 mile race beating the Japanese and Continental 250 bikes on this very model All the reviews I have read of these bikes written in the sixties were generally complimentary. I don't the factory was at fault.

I imagine these Lightweights and this includes the 350's Model 8 and G5 probably 'fell by the wayside' sometime in the early 70's ,They were not valued. Possible they are not numerous now. Some people are buying them and enjoying a challenge. But the work costs money and time. Most experienced long term riders I met in England ,with varying degrees of mechanical skill, I guess, just did not have experience of these lightweights from a mechanical point of view. Their experience tended to be on Heavyweights and it did not always transfer. So I found I could not get the in depth advice I needed. Then I met a chap who did a lot of work, on a range of Classic marques and as a teenager had had three of these Lightweights . He knew all about them He sorted my bike etc. He like ITMA (Ken) is advising you ,advised me on economic grounds to get a different bike.He added ,there is nothing wrong with them if put together properly.My decision was to spend however.and it cost a lot. I then had a good bike. Which is why I had no trouble selling it two years ago. One can say they are 'rare' here in Sweden. The chap who bought my bike was an experienced motorcyclist but he intended to use it just locally not long runs.

To sum up I would suggest : be confident, and go for a Heavyweight, 350 or 500. Develop your mechanical skills on a Model range that a lot of other people are riding.Also if you intend to ride with club members, long distance etc ,it's so much more comfortable on a Heavyweight. I was riding a friends Heavyweight, long distance in Northern Sweden some time ago...so much more comfortable.

Best wishes, Chris

'My cat can beat up your cat!'
andy1b

Post by andy1b »

Many thanks all for your advice and thoughts.
For a cautious first-time, toe-in-the-water, I think I will try and save a few more pennies and then head to the G3 end of the scale.

Many thanks again
Andy
pto

Post by pto »

If you are over a 100yrs old, or ride ride like you are go for the G3!. The Late 250 CSR are great bikes, top speed of over 80 MPH, good brakes and handling and FUN to ride around twisting lanes. Parts are not as easy to get as the G3 as they where not as common,but never had to make my own piston!
itma

Post by itma »

No but you to need to take a lump of the bottom of them, see my previous saga with one!
PTO is quite right tho about the bike, but I bet he won't part with his to prove it.
And hes talking about the CSR, whch was a looker, not the grotty cooking jobs, of which brakes are not to be boasted about.