yxr

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
bigbike-r

yxr

Post by bigbike-r »

hi im new to this forum, my names danny and at christmas i baught a AJS YXR125 the new learner legal enduro bike - a few years ago i had a crash that left me scared of bikes and ive been gaining back experience and skills on it,
been an ajs website i understand many of you will not be familiar with the bike as it is new and ajs are more heard of on the classic side of biking. however its worth a shot

my question is is there any way to get more power from this bike riding it even though its only a 125 i feel it has more to offer and would like to know if they can be de-restricted, also every thousand miles it needs a new chain and i have upgraded to a DID but still the same problem

thanks in advance

danny
Don Madden

yxr

Post by Don Madden »

Hi, Danny. Not many of us here are familiar with the current products carrying the AJS lable.

Japanese 125cc bikes, even from the 60s had lively performance at town speeds for such a small engine. Have you compared your YXR125 with other brands? Current envirnmental controls do tend to restrict gas flow through the engine but if you do anything to de-restrict it you will likely weaken the mixture causing damage. Any increase in breathing must be accompanied by an increase in fuel flow by proper jetting.

Excessive chain wear can be caused by lack of lubrication, chain alignment & worn sprockets. Inspect both sprockets for hooking as the chain pulls only on one side of the teeth. Worn chains do not fit the unworn sprocket properly & visa-versa, so all must be in good order.

Remove the front sprocket cover & sight along the chain run. Both sprockets & the chain must be in the same plane. Wear on the sides of the sprockets indicate mis-alignment. Do not trust any axle alignment marks on the swing arm until they are verified accurate by visual observation.

Cheers, Don.
Janet

yxr

Post by Janet »

Danny, I don't think your bike is restricted so you can't get more power by de-restricting it. If you could it wouldn't be legal for a learner to ride.

I'd suggest that if your chain needs replacing that quick you haven't got it adjusted properly. It shouldn't be so slack as to clang, but shouldn't be tight as a bowstring. Maybe the place you bought it from would be willing to show you how it should be tensioned. Also, a new chain does tend to have a bit of give after a couple of hundred miles, but then the wear slows down for the next several thousand.

There is someone on the site who has one, but I can't think who it is. Failing memory is the penalty for getting old. I hope you enjoy your new bike, learn to ride it well and in time move up to a proper one.
Merlin

yxr

Post by Merlin »

Janet, old you are but a child in this forum.
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

yxr

Post by itma »

All that, I would sadly say, is the result of buying a bike made in China
very little can be done with it.
I would suggest that you would be better off with a 125 from one of the big Jap makers.
Paradoxically a 350 AJS probably produces little more horse power than your 125.
At least you are back on a bike, which can only be a good thing.
what happened?
I have never been scared of a motorcycle, even though I`m terrified of cars, usually Volvo/BMW
Mind you I have often scared myself on one.
bigbike-r

yxr

Post by bigbike-r »

i used to have a dtr125 as a kid and a tzr ( they are both same engine but housed in different frames) and they had way more kick than the ajs
itma_ it was a few years back now i was riding on a dirt track when i hit a jump and flew, mid way i realised i peobably wasnt going to land it and i was doing probably 80-100 i dnt remember much else other than waking up under the bike and pushing it off me pulled the footpeg out my leg - my initial thought was i landed in a puddle but the wet running down my back was the result of the large hole in the back of my head - i had fractured my skull i couldnt braeth properley later found out i damaged a lung that was spazaming i had no idea where i was or who i was and there was no-one around, anyway i jumped back on the bike although the frame was now bent and the front wheel buckled and had to give it some to get it rolling ( thats the best thing i did cos if i didnt get back on i probably never would) anyway since then ive been scared of them and gained much respect for machine. i have a gsxr750 and 400 im currently saving for my resr and will use the 400 for the road - the 750 is the first edition 1985 bike that is been built by myself to a track bike for fun - im saving for yoshimura cams valves and a 1340 kit ill post pics if anybody wants to see
as for chaon on the ajs- it is all lined up correct just seems to stretch very easily
Don Madden

yxr

Post by Don Madden »

If it still stretches, than I have to agree with others, that it is the quality of the machine. Chinese bikes are percieved a throw-away stuff here as they don't run for long & repair parts are unavailable.

The Chinese do have envirnmental, quality & safety regulations but enforcement is spotty at best.

Cheers, Don.
paul knapp

yxr

Post by paul knapp »

quote: Chinese bikes are percieved a throw-away stuff

...and thats what we thought about the oily old Brit clunkers,

...but now we are all running around trying to find where we threw the bloody things!

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Rick.Edwards
Deceased

yxr

Post by Rick.Edwards »

Chalk pits Great Limber North East Lincolnshire !979-1983
The piston ring King