Oil Leak From Exhaust

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
CRAMMOND

Oil Leak From Exhaust

Post by CRAMMOND »

Hi, Can anyone help with a small problem, I have just finished a full rebuild on a 1951 G80C and all of a sudden it has started leaking oil from the front pipe where it goes into the cylinder head and dripping all over the mag,any ideas chaps?

Many thanks,Martin.
paul knapp

Oil Leak From Exhaust

Post by paul knapp »

G'day Martin, drain the crank case and take the machine for a good ride to burn the excess oil off that you have in the engine. Sealing the pipe in the exhaust port with auto silastic will stop the oil from appearing at the joint.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

CRAMMOND

Oil Leak From Exhaust

Post by CRAMMOND »

Hi,OK thanks I will give it a go.
crawsue

Oil Leak From Exhaust

Post by crawsue »

Martin,I'm a little cunfused as to which pipe you are referring.Is it the oil feed pipe to the rocker box? If so the vibration of the engine may have caused the union at the rocker box to slacken off.Another problem can appear where the two peice copper feed pipe is joined by a length of rubber hose just above the exhaust port,this can drip down the front frame down tube and appear to come from the exhaust port,keep in touch.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Biscuit
Deceased

Oil Leak From Exhaust

Post by Biscuit »

The topic was titled 'oil leak from the exhaust'

Better not take devolution to far, how will you manage?

crawsue

Oil Leak From Exhaust

Post by crawsue »

Still not convinced,would oil coming from the exhaust port not burn onto the pipe? We don't want devolution,now,Westminster has used up most of the oil money,were just going to sit around up here and let you guys,and all your new East European pals fund our new lifestyle,while you sit,parked up on your "Motorways"......now where's that single malt?
CRAMMOND

Oil Leak From Exhaust

Post by CRAMMOND »

Just to let you all know it is now sorted,it just seemed to go away on its own after a while of running but thanks for all your help.
wilko

Oil Leak From Exhaust

Post by wilko »

It's called wet sumping. If you've left it standing for awhile check depth of oil tank. If it is down then drain your sump. Mine has a mind of its own. The theory is to do with plunger pump in a certain position allowing the port holes in the plunger lining up allowing easier gravity flow into the sump. Dugless
crawsue

Oil Leak From Exhaust

Post by crawsue »

Great,Oh,and you can forget all that rubbish I stuck in!!Just never seen a whole lot of oil coming out the exhaust manifold!!Hope you enjoy your "new" machine.
crawsue

Oil Leak From Exhaust

Post by crawsue »

One more thing before I go! Relatively new member in UK brings a problem to the Forum,and two blokes 12,000 miles away have it sorted in minutes......now that's what I call a proper owner's club..good on ya' boys. What kind of motorcycles do you sell, Martin?