Kettering Classics

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
markbaldry

Kettering Classics

Post by markbaldry »

quote:
Mark i had a good look at the bike you were interested in today,it is actually pretty correct for the year i compared it with mine,which is spot on though i dont have an engine number as i blew the originals up,the engine number on the bike in question is unclear and looks like it has replaced the originals but a previous owner has simply done the same as me and not stamped a number.Further more the G12 you wanted to know about was an alternator engine and if these engines let go for what ever reason in my experience it is usually the drive side crankcase that is wrecked,ie the number side.There are loads of these motors with different crankcases than what they left the factory with,it really doesn't effect the bike the kind of people you will want to impress as you ride or show really wont give a tinkers what number you have.i think you should go and have a look its one of the nicest G12's i've seen apart from mine of course

Rick - did you get see/hear the bike running or was it just a quick look over?

they also have a 1959 G12. would i think i'll look at too.

thanks

Mark
snatchpiece

Kettering Classics

Post by snatchpiece »

This thread needs re-naming, it's mainly about matching numbers not Kettering Classics!
A clever man can guess a woman's age,
A wise man never does.
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Kettering Classics

Post by Rick.Edwards »

Just a quick look over to see what all the fuss was about,yes there are a few 650's in come over and have a good look and we'll start her up.brumm brumm
The piston ring King
steveb

Kettering Classics

Post by steveb »

Mark, go and look around some other dealers then go over to Kettering.....I think you will see and hear the difference.
Pick the best bike you can afford and enjoy it.
You will be in a great club of a great factory.
If you want to polish an appreciating classic then you need to look elsewhere perhaps...
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Kettering Classics

Post by Rick.Edwards »

Mark when you come over i can show you what 650's look like in bitsespecially mine with its melted piston.
The piston ring King
markbaldry

Kettering Classics

Post by markbaldry »

quote:
Mark when you come over i can show you what 650's look like in bitsespecially mine with its melted piston.

i hope that's not the bike you said you owned that was as in as good a condition as the AJS i was looking at

i hope to get down sometime on Thursday is things work out.
crawsue

Kettering Classics

Post by crawsue »

Hi,Mark and welcome,I have just read the complete posting as I have been away for a while,and I can empathise with your "angst",so let me put in my tu'pennce worth.I'm a mid fifties guy who has been riding since the late '60's,I felt a need to get back to my roots 3 years ago (I still have a modern rocket as well).I just wish I had had ITMA's corrosive warnings ringing in my ears,as I bought an EBAY dawg which exploded in a misguided atempt to ride it 250 miles home.£500 later and I still had a 'bike I didn't really want,but then I got really lucky,bumped into an old guy (78!) at the MOT station and started to really learn what I wanted ,it took a while but together we unearthed a "bitsa" that ticked all my boxes,it still cost a few quid to get it as I wanted,but like you and everyone else here ,I've got a bit of history that I can polish,ride,take to bits,swear at,but most of all...ride.Two words of warning,though,be prepared to tinker and get your hands dirty,this is not Honda!And please enjoy the diferent type of riding that is old 'bikes....again this is definately not Honda!Many of our fellow contributors,including our most learned "sage" have modern stuff as well,sometimes it is as important to arrive as well!PS,Heavyweight singles are a far easier introduction to old style spannering.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Kettering Classics

Post by Rick.Edwards »

yes but with twins you dont need cast iron right legs,bye the way i love singles have two
The piston ring King
Janet

Kettering Classics

Post by Janet »

quote: bye the way i love singles have two
Two singles? Are they twins?
itma

Kettering Classics

Post by itma »

the hardest lesson to learn I believe is that old bikes are not just a way of life,
they are an attitude of mind.
these two things combine to make it THE most satisfying way to enjoy motorcycling, the finest hobby anyone can have