water in oil

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
PaulR

water in oil

Post by PaulR »

Hi all. The trusty old girl without much coaxing at all is up and running for the first time in over a year. runs fine with a little tlc on the battery wiring, points and carb clean and lubing all cables etc. I noticed after a few moments a white oily leak from the n/s casing.
What a smile I had on my face when she came alive!!!! The first thing I noticed when I took her around the block was the grin from the public, instead of a grimice from the modern day stuff..I guess I am now like a new dad..
I have taken it off and it was full of water/oil mix. I am presumming this will be gear oil? New territory now for me. If it is gear oil, any pointers? is it likely to be just moisture as the bike has been sat, covered for a year or so outside. If so, I presume I need to drain and flush? also, It seems after reading previous comments, the secret to a none leaky stead is clean and well sealed casings. do i also need a new rubber gasket and which sealer is best reccomended. thanks paul
P.G.Richardson
Biscuit
Deceased

water in oil

Post by Biscuit »

Presuming it is the G3 in your bio and you are speaking of the primary chaincase, then it won't be gear oil. Unless you have been over enthusiastic with the hose pipe it is most likely condensation.

Sealing the chaincase, here is one I prepared earlier, as they say:-

1. Off the bike, check the two halves touch all round, if not carefully manipulate (bend) until they do.

2. Fit the inner case to the bike, and when tightening the centre nut ensure that the case is not forced forward or back, if it does, adjust length of spacer until the centre nut can be tightened without distorting the inner case.

3. Fit outer case, again ensuring the outer nut does not force the two cases together such that the inner case is forced back, and there is no gap. If either of these two situations occur, adjust spacer between the cases to suit.

4. Remove outer case and run a substantial bead of silicone sealant all around just inside the joint face, run a further bead around the joint face. Fit outer case and tighten nut, ensuring inner and outer cases register correctly. Go and have a cup of coffee.

5. Trim off any excess sealant, fit the rubber from the Club, followed by the aluminium band.

6. Go to bed and fill with oil next morning, just to be on the safe side.

The secret, if that's what it is, is in the fit of the cases one to the other. This will need patience!!!!

The silicone sealant is that sold for automotive purposes, bathroom sealant can work, but the formulation varies, I swore by it initially until I met one that was dissolved by the oil.

itma

water in oil

Post by itma »

PaulR

water in oil

Post by PaulR »

thanks Biscuit. Its not the hose pipe as i've not done that part yet and i've only removed the outer case to clean the gunk out. I shall attempt the task in hand and fingers crossed xxx..oh must order rubber as well, or should I order 2 in case?
P.G.Richardson
Biscuit
Deceased

water in oil

Post by Biscuit »

You only need to order one, they last along time. To be fair, there is a mushroom section seal offered by a gentleman named Buckingham (Geoff I believe) that many people swear by. Have a look at the link that Itma gave.

Merlin

water in oil

Post by Merlin »

itma I see the medication is beginning to wear off
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

water in oil

Post by itma »

I think so too, pass the corkscrew
Chazzyb

water in oil

Post by Chazzyb »

My 18S doesn't leak oil from the case joint. I've had one of Geoff Buckingham's seals in place for a few years now. However, use of a hose when washing *will* get water into the case via the magneto and gearbox main shaft entry points. Oil certainly comes out from those places (the evidence is, er, evident). If I run my bike after such an event (a good hosing) and a lovely mayonnaise is the result. I have a large (500ml) metal syringe with a tube which I use to suck the goo out through the inspection hole.
Charles
lawrence

water in oil

Post by lawrence »

Wot! no drain plug?
itma

water in oil

Post by itma »

People who use pressure washers on a bike have only themselves to blame.
Best way I know to ruin wheel bearings for instance, and as for what it will do to magnetos and dynamos........oh forget it, just give the bike to me.........