sidecar taxation - help urgently needed!

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

You may remember the wonderful wooden Matchless that was featured in a Jampot article by Roy Bellet a couple of years ago.

Mr Miller has now produced a half size 1938 Ariel Square Four as well! He would like some information to get the tax discs correct.

His information is that pre-war and for a short time afterwards, the sidecar itself attracted a road tax and had to display its own disc in addition to that on the bike. Is this correct?

If so, does anyone know the annual rate in 1938? I had always thought that only the bike had to show a disc, same amount whether a sidecar was attached or not. I have historic lists for solo bikes, but that is all.

He is hoping to display the bike in two weeks time, and would like the details to be correct.
itma

Post by itma »

cant help as far back as 1938 Greg, but my buff logbook shows that "cycle sidecar" as a separate tax class, later modified to bicycle when the chair removed.
entry for 1945 says £3.1.4, cant see if its a whole or quarter year tho.

£3'1.4........ if you can work that out in funny money you are........... OLD
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

According to my list, the annual rate for a solo bike in 1945 was £2.1.4, so presumably the extra quid was for the sidecar. Perhaps if one was in the habit of detaching the sidecar, it might carry a separate £1 licence disc, but I've never heard of that.

It could be that he has confused the fact that the additional duty levied for the sidecar was eventually abolished with the idea that there would have been a separate disc? I had never heard of this - does anyone remember sidecars carrying their own tax discs?
Dick Hobart

Post by Dick Hobart »

I'd suggest that either Philip or yourself has a word with Geoff Brazendale of the VMCC - what he doesn't know about sidecars isn't worth knowing. I've already had a sneak preview of the Square Four - it's even better than the G3L! - but I've not seen the finished outfit. I'm taking a VMCC group to Philip's magnificent abode in June when all will be revealed! (He'll probably have started another project by then!).
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

How can you possibly forget how to write L.s.d :- £3/14/4

poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

quote:
How can you possibly forget how to write L.s.d :- £3/14/4

It was so long ago!
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

quote:
I'd suggest that either Philip or yourself has a word with Geoff Brazendale of the VMCC - what he doesn't know about sidecars isn't worth knowing. I've already had a sneak preview of the Square Four - it's even better than the G3L! - but I've not seen the finished outfit. I'm taking a VMCC group to Philip's magnificent abode in June when all will be revealed! (He'll probably have started another project by then!).

Thanks for the suggestion - I have emailed VMCC and will let you know the result
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Had a very speedy response from VMCC

"You are right, the motorcycle was taxed as m/c & sidecar rather than the sidecar taxed separately. The legal requirement for display is on nearside of handlebars or nearside of sidecar in front of the “driver’s” seat
Regards
Annice
Librarian"

So that's sorted!