Sprint racing

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
itma

Sprint racing

Post by itma »

plenty of vintage sprint events about, it doesnt need to leak oil unless hes drilled holes were theres oil behind.
Bring it out and show it off, these prewar singles can be made to go surprisingly fast and have been known to put out the noses of the OHC Velo/Rudge crew
lawrence

Sprint racing

Post by lawrence »

quote:
If the tables are as strong at the Hut then just maybe......

The Chairman dancing on tables? We want photos for the Jampot magazine!
hendrag

Sprint racing

Post by hendrag »

hendrag

Sprint racing

Post by hendrag »

thanks for all the encouragement,i have posted some pre restoration photos of the frame etc here http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/propernasty/Sprinter take a look. The engine has nearly been rebuilt so looks a little better. Ref the comments about oil leaks take alook at the gearbox i wasnt joking about the holes and ref returning it to the road i think that will be a costly job. see what you think.
i will keep posting pictures as i get on and will attend the ajay club in the south for further encouragement.
itma

Sprint racing

Post by itma »

I dont think returning it to the road is a proposition do you?
However who ever did the job was certainly an anorexic
I suspect as it was built soley for 10 second blasts the gearbox was lubricated with a dose of 3 in 1, every time out,all that grease thats meant to be in it must be worth 10 mph drag
Biscuit
Deceased

Sprint racing

Post by Biscuit »

What a fascinating project, makes my hub look a little silly. It should be put back as you Dad left it, either sprint it or just have it for show.

lawrence

Sprint racing

Post by lawrence »

Wow, Lovely!!

I have a feeling the seats not original though Graham
bjork

Sprint racing

Post by bjork »

quote:
Welcome to the forums and your bike sounds very interesting!

Could it be registered for road use?

Well, that was a silly question wasn't it! Have just seen the pics. Blimey, your old fella was serious wasn't he
Judging by the barrel fins (that aren't there) it was running on dope? or just more lightening? If you do ride it at all, I would think seriously about fitting some fork links without 'added lightness' there isn't much meat left there I reckon
Fix it and use it somehow or other, it looks too good to be a static exhibit, AND-you hopefully have the chance to document it's history before it all gets forgotten too!
Looks like another old banger in the background with drum brake too? You want to watch this old bike lark, it's addictive

Personally, I think bikes like this should be banned (because I get jealous easily)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
hendrag

Sprint racing

Post by hendrag »

thnaks again for all the help, the bike in the background is a mates 500 single ajay, it used to belong to the old man but he gave it to a friend who has done an amazing restoration on it. Dad used to use it as a hack around london ( he was a Vincent man at heart) You guys enthusiasm is contagious, the old man has come out of retirement and wants to dirty his hands on the old sprinter, i guess you can never get the petrol out of your viens. I will post some new oictures soon, i hope to have all the running gear and frame finished this weekend fingers crossed and then its back to the engine and gear box. I really want to run the thing once finished but am a little concerned about scrutineering as the health and safety rules were not as strict in the 60s as they are now. Does anyone know any scrutineers who can advise what i will have to change before it will be allowed to run. I dont really want it to be a museum peice.