Solid state batteries

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Biscuit
Deceased

Solid state batteries

Post by Biscuit »

Has anybody had experience of these batteries, are they as good as Burlen says, can they actually be mounted in any position? how do they perform with electronic regulators?. Are Burlen the only manufacturers, I've 'Googled' for other makes, but can only find long-winded treatises on their design and construction.

itma

Solid state batteries

Post by itma »

Some folk swear by Burlen, I have found them a curates egg.
They need the electronic regulator rather than the mechanical one.
I have had two fail on me, I am not sure why. They are guaranteed but they have a po- face when asked to replace them.
They work well in any position.
CORRECTION
try this.

http://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/index.a ... ge=1Edited by - itma on 09 Mar 2008 9:32:04 PM
Tolly

Solid state batteries

Post by Tolly »

I fitted a 12v version on my G5 18 months ago and have had no problems at all. My reason for fitting was that I seemed to have to renew the conventional battery every 12 to 18 months and put it on a trickle charge every couple of weeks if I did not use the bike for a week or two, the Burlen battery held its charge over the Christmas period when I was off the road for 6 weeks. They are quite expensive but if they out last the conventional battery its worth it. If you fit one make sure a fuse is fitted (but I'm sure I don't have to mention that!! ) As Itma states, they can be fitted any which way and in little corners, if you need to hide it.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Merlin

Solid state batteries

Post by Merlin »

Just to put a spanner in the works my standard acid battery is seven years old and still performs OK.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Tolly

Solid state batteries

Post by Tolly »

Is it an Exide battery Merlin? How do you get it to last that long, I shall have to have a word with my local supplier. I hope you treat SWMBO as well as your battery, you'll go far!!!

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Biscuit
Deceased

Solid state batteries

Post by Biscuit »

The battery on the Crapaski is eight years old and is as good as ever, starts the engine n'all. Like Tolly, I find I change the conventional battery on the Brit. bikes every two years or so.

Ah fuses, never had one on a Brit bike in my life, perhaps I'll have to change my habits!

Eric

Solid state batteries

Post by Eric »

Its probably vibration on old British bikes that helps to shorten the life of a conventional lead acid battery. Merlin do you have foam underneath and behind yours and then secure it with a rubber band strap? All of those will help to reduce the effect of vibration upon the battery and perhaps extend its life.

After failing to find an apparent dead short on my 1960 G9 alternator model, I fitted a fuse or two just in case it decided to burn out the loom and perhaps other parts. When the mysterious short occurred again the fuse went and this allowed full alternator output through to any bulbs in circuit at the time and burnt them all out as well.

With the help of Al Osborne and the fact I was able to say with some confidence the problem only happened with the headlamp on, he suggested I check out the dip switch and found one of the cable retaining screws had removed itself. When the vibration on the handle bars built up the screw would jump around inside the switch cover at random and sometimes managed to short things down to earth.Edited by - Eric on 08 Mar 2008 11:34:22 PM
Merlin

Solid state batteries

Post by Merlin »

I do have the rubber band but no foam.The battery is a Varta
Chemists do it with test tubes
Locust

Solid state batteries

Post by Locust »

Alan
I have all 6volt sealed batteries and sware by them, the only thing I do extra is fit a secret isolating switch some where on the bike and use it when the bike is not being used.
Kempton is the place to get them Half the price of Burlen.
You mean the quacker hasn't got a kickstart.???? how do you get your exercise then ???
Dick Hobart

Solid state batteries

Post by Dick Hobart »

Like Ken, I've had a Burlen completely die on me, and like Graham I bought one from the chap who does the autojumbles and sells replicas for half the price. That one is still going strong. The last one I bought from a dealer on eBay. His user name is 'prideandclarke' which tickled me so I bought it for old times sake - it was about the same price as the autojumble chappie (could be the same bloke) and so far (only 6 months) is still fine.