Compression plate

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Biscuit
Deceased

Compression plate

Post by Biscuit »

Oh poop!!!!!!!!!! I've put my foot in it again. That's the kind of thing I meant when I said I 'was more Diplodocus' ie. long neck for sticking out.

Aplogies Ken (dammit)

wilko

Compression plate

Post by wilko »

They thickened the base flange when they dropped the compression plate, which also strengthened it..As i have broken a flange on the thinner ones it's a handy improvement. Mind you in those days i wasn't very diligent checking flange nut tightness regularly. The less separate pieces between the barrel and cases the better for rigidity. Douglas

Compression plate

Post by ville »

quote:
I think your rings broke simply because you did not remove the ridge at the top of the cylinder?

That's possible. Previous owner has probably taken compression plate away and hasn't removed the ridge. Should have opened the engine right away after purchase...

Thanks to all for the good information.

Compression plate

Post by laxy »

Ken, you refer to removing the washer at the bottom of the tube if the compresion plate is ommited.Do you mean at the bottom of the pushrod tube? If so I thought there was just a small rubber donout that sits over the top of the tappet guide.At least thats the case on my 51 500 {compresion plate fitted as per spares list}
itma

Compression plate

Post by itma »

on some earlier engines, esp WD ones there was a washer under the bottom do-nut.
Probably because you have the thicker flange barrel mentioned you dont need it.
If its not leaking dont worry about it.
Don Madden

Compression plate

Post by Don Madden »

When rebuilding my 1947 G80 I removed the compression plate from under the cylinder. I also found thick washers deep in the pushrod tube recesses in the head, up against the ridge. They looked like part of the head itself & had to be driven out of the recess.

Cheers, Don.