Compression plate

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice

Compression plate

Post by ville »

Hi,

I have 1949 AJS 18S and I'm wondering should I have compression plate between cylinder and crankcase? Spares list says there should be one, but I don't have. I checked JSL and noticed they don't have it on the list. Is it necessary at all?

Cheers,
Biscuit
Deceased

Compression plate

Post by Biscuit »

Looking at a 1952 Owners manual, the compression plate reduces the compression ratio from 7.24-1 too 6-1, both pretty innocuous, so I think you will be safe without it.

Come in Ken!.

Samuel

Compression plate

Post by Samuel »

I have a '49 G80 - when I re-sleived to standard and replaced the piston I also removed the compression plate - It was harder to start with the increased compression but not appreciably more powerfull. On having to replace the head recently following discovery of a hairline crack I reverted to the compression plate and easier starting !
Sam

Compression plate

Post by ville »

Thanks for the responses.

Samuel, did you notice any knocking with higher revs when you didn't have compression plate? I had some knocking and also piston ring breakdown. Could the missing plate be the reason?

Biscuit, I think 1952 model cylinder was longer. Do you know are these ratios counted with longer or shorter type cylinder?

Cheers,
paul knapp

Compression plate

Post by paul knapp »

If you had a knocking at higher revs coupled with ring damage, sounds to me as if it could have been a 'mechanical' noise, perhaps the rings hitting the ridge in the top of the bore, hence the damage.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Biscuit
Deceased

Compression plate

Post by Biscuit »

I don't know whether the '52 barrel was longer, but it has a different part number. In the Haycraft book, when speaking of tappet adjustment he refers to 'No compression plate fitted (1949 onwards)' and 'Compression plate fitted (1945-48)' He then goes on to give different tappet adjustment methods for either case, the reason for this escapes me. Are your ring problems due to small gaps? if it is anything other than the top ring, it cannot be due to lack of compression plate.

Compression plate

Post by ville »

You are probably right. There can be many other reasons. Damage was with both of compression rings. I dismantled the engine first time after this breakdown and before that gaps could be anything. Now it is rebored and it has new piston from JSL. Maybe I try without compression plate at first (because I don't have any ). I suspected lack of compression plate caused knocking because when I retarded ignition fully, knocking disappeared.

I just noticed this compression plate issue today when I was looking at spares list. I also noticed Haycraft book says 1949 doesn't have the plate, but Bacon book and some other which I don't remember says that 500 cc engine has compression plate up to 1951 and 1952 having longer cylinder doesn't have it anymore. Complicated.

Cheers,

Compression plate

Post by itma »

I think your rings broke simply because you did not remove the ridge at the top of the cylinder?
Biscuit
Deceased

Compression plate

Post by Biscuit »

He had it re-sleeved Ken.

itma

Compression plate

Post by itma »

That was Samuel, Alan
the lack of a compression plate should not, at these ratios make a noticable difference to ease of starting.
What is important is that if removing the plate you also remove the washer at the bottom of the tube, under the seal.
Some of these plates are up to 1/8 thick, and the pushrod seal washers should be jiggled about to suit.