WD Oil Pump Problem

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Dougie

WD Oil Pump Problem

Post by Dougie »

Dick H, I was very, very careful when rebuilding the engine. I don't think I have made any errors with gaskets etc. but, you can never rule anything out completely!

As for the time spent waiting to see oil circulation, I guess that it was no longer than 2 minutes at most but tried about 5 times. When the engine is virtually dry after a complete rebuild I didn't have the balls to risk it running any longer. Call me fussy but...

I will try the old trick of back-filling through the return side to get some oil in the sump. Once I am reasonably happy that we have circulation (however weak) I will feel bold enough to run the engine.

Crawsue, Dougie is our late father's name. It is used as an ID tag for the forum as we have joint membership. He also rode a WD Matchless in service in 1945/46!
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
woster

WD Oil Pump Problem

Post by woster »

As Don says these pumps are slow. If you do the math, at 1000RPM (fast tick over) the maximum (100% efficent) the high pressure side can pump is 3.876 cubic inches/minute=12.8864 tea spoons/min, or 4.295 table spoons/minute or 1 table spoon every 14 seconds.

At high speed, 6000RPM, max flow is 23.25 cubic inches/minute=75 tea spoons/minute or 25 table spoons/ minute, or 2.4 seconds/table spoon. You can dip the oil by hand that fast.
This is about .8 pints/minute

You can see why it takes so long at idle to pump enough to have oil to pump back to the tank, and fill that big old oil return hose.
paul knapp

WD Oil Pump Problem

Post by paul knapp »

Hell's Bell's!!
I think it would be easier just having ITMA's worry beads to play with.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

crawsue

WD Oil Pump Problem

Post by crawsue »

So,a quick go at the "math"(s)! on the back of a "fag "packet would suggest that if you change your oil every 4,516 miles...it will have been round the engine .....once! Hardly worth fitting an external filter then
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
woster

WD Oil Pump Problem

Post by woster »

Actually I did the math to determine if 1/4 inch tubing is large enough for the oil return flow to and from a external oil filter. No problem!

Mounted oil filter between front down tubes, under magnito. Added benfits, added cooling, eaey change with no oil mess.

Sorry but I think if you don't have the best oil filter you can get you are missing one of the major reasons rubbing parts wear. Even on the oil return any dirt only gets one chance, then it's removed.
chris kelly

WD Oil Pump Problem

Post by chris kelly »

"This is about . 8 pints/ minute"

Is this English pint or American pint?

Chris
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
woster

WD Oil Pump Problem

Post by woster »

Didn't know there was a difference between English and American pints, its Imperial Measure. 28.875 cubic inches, or 16 fluid ounces.
Even if there is a differance would it change the conclusion that with a dry engine you need to run it for more than 5 mim to see oil return?
bjork

WD Oil Pump Problem

Post by bjork »

No, the pints are the same, it's the gallons that got mucked about.

Back to the topic, 5 minutes would worry me too, but then I would have dropped about a 3rd of a pint into the crankcase and filled the return filter and pipe, just as Itma said before.
I read and re-read the original post and couldn't add anything that Itma and Biscuit had not already covered. So kept quiet before. It did seem to describe that the pump was not moving oil? The only thing that I could think to add didn't really fit what I thought I'd read.
But here goes anyway-
I wondered if the felt filter could be the fault? This happened to my bike when I bought a new felt element. The turned over felt at the top was blocking the outlet to the tank so hardly anything got through and the crankcase filled up. I just bought another new filter and the same thing seems to be happening there too and I even trimmed it back before I fitted it! Maybe I will just wash the original for the 1000th time and bung it back in!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Dougie

WD Oil Pump Problem

Post by Dougie »

Hi Bjork,

Good suggestion but I was already onto that.

I intially didn't even put the filter in so that I could look down the filter chamber and watch for oil returning.

I have also trimmed the top "collar" of the filter just in case.

Going back off the subject again, if English pints are the same as US pints, and there are 8 pints to the gallon for both English and US gallons, how is there now a difference between the two gallons?

I think you'll find that an English pint is 20 fluid ounces.

That equates to more beer!

But it don't make no difference to the oil "conundrum"!
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
crawsue

WD Oil Pump Problem

Post by crawsue »

Winton,would it be possible to post pictures of your oil filter modification? There have been numerous threads in the forum over the past couple of years,with different answers to the problem.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?