Rear Jampot shocks

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mikeydpippin

Rear Jampot shocks

Post by mikeydpippin »

Has anyone stripped and rebuilt the rear shocks on a Matchless,are there special tools required and would it be more cost efficient to purchase new ones.In other words is it too big a job for the diyer.I've got the workshop guide print off,and the guide price to renew all parts is estimated at £130,well i can buy a pair for £112 (yes ebay) presuming these are correct of course.Mine need respraying and new chrome other than that they dont look too bad.
Mike
PGGuse

Rear Jampot shocks

Post by PGGuse »

Hi Mike, if you have access to a vice and a lathe you may make your own Jampot rebuilding tools as I did. Have a look at: fotos.web.de/ajay01
Cheers, Paul
Youngster

Rear Jampot shocks

Post by Youngster »

Hi Mike,

The first time i got my dads old matchless on the road, i rebuilt one of the jampots. It was a bit of a nightmare to take apart but once it was apart, rebuilding was relatively straightforward although getting it all to seal was a bit of a chore. If you buy the ebay ones, you have not guarantee that the internals are in good working order.

If you do it yourself, or with help, at least you know how they work and what condition they are in.

Too many bikes, So little time!!
dave16mct

Rear Jampot shocks

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Mike, if its a 57 it should have Girlings, not jampots. Which have you got? Dave
mikeydpippin

Rear Jampot shocks

Post by mikeydpippin »

Your right Dave just checked,I have the AMC Girling with the Clevis pin.after a forum search i have found this link http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyshockabsorbers.htm ,with my knowledge i may think about buying them,unless of course they can be restored as per the jampot instructions,but according to my book they are sealed units other than the sleeves which can be replaced.Many Thanks for your help,I learn a little every day!.
Mike
56G80S

Rear Jampot shocks

Post by 56G80S »

I haven't time to do the search as am taking lunch break at work, but there are articles about getting more life out of the "sealed" girlings, either on this site or Christian's archives. From memory there were two approaches and neither looked too difficult to do.

Unless you've got £100 plus to throw away?

My pockets are open to donations......

Johnny B
Biscuit
Deceased

Rear Jampot shocks

Post by Biscuit »

Tech. Articles - suspension - first article - refilling Girlings.

Or http://www.mc-albion.dk/AMC/Technical/S ... .pdfEdited by - Biscuit on 29 Jan 2008 7:34:04 PM

Duncan

Rear Jampot shocks

Post by Duncan »

Mike

Support your local spares scheme and save money:

www.jampot-spares.com/store/comersus_vi ... duct=22845

024180 REAR GIRLING REPLICA SUSPENSION UNITS COMPLETE EXCEPT FIXING BOLTS.

£93.57 less your spares discount plus VAT = BARGIN

It is possible to drill the bottom of the Girling units and change the oil but if the damping rod seals are shot it is a fruitless exercise.
mikeydpippin

Rear Jampot shocks

Post by mikeydpippin »

Supporting local spares scheme it is Many Thanks Duncan
Mike