ACTIV-8 oil additive

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Circlip

ACTIV-8 oil additive

Post by Circlip »

Thats right Sam oil does more for cooling that some people realise. Porche for instance and a lot of "air/oil" cooled engines.

So it wouldnt be possible to pre-treat the engine.

However the oil tries to prevent metal to metal contact.
If that were 100%sucessfull we wouldnt need hardened parts.

Biscuit,--let me get this straight ,--you are saying that the two differing speeds of the outer and inner races of a ball or roller bearing is such that the ball or roller can not possible accomodate for the two speeds and therefore either the inner or outer or both race HAS to skim the contact with the ball?
paul knapp

ACTIV-8 oil additive

Post by paul knapp »

This claim sounded incredible to me at the time, and it still does! I recall that the RACV (Royal Auto Club Victoria) were involved with the test.
I lifted this article below, in part, from the Nulon Products site.

"PTFE Residual Lubrication in Engines
Manufacturers of oil additives containing PTFE in many instances claim a residual coating of
PTFE becomes impregnated in the metal pores of all engine friction surfaces. Some claim to
provide a residual coating that will last the life of the engine. Others claim the coating to last
anywhere from 80,000 to 160,000 kilometres.
While no formal test procedure has substantiated the longevity of the claimed residual PTFE
coating, there is sufficient evidence to conclude there most certainly is a residual effect.
Nulon Products Australia Pty Ltd has on numerous occasions driven motor cars long distances
without the benefit of engine lubrication oil. In all instances such events have been scrutineered
by reputable and highly respected organisations. On all occasions the engines have had a PTFE
dosed lubricant operating for 5,000 kilometres prior to having the oil drained. The vehicles have
then been driven distances ranging from 500 kilometres to in excess of 1,000 kilometres.
In 1983 a Holden Commodore was driven 1,031 kilometres from Sydney to Melbourne without
oil in the crankcase. At all times the oil light and/or gauge registered nil oil pressure. Nulon has
conducted such demonstrations on no fewer than six occasions. To substantiate the claim of a
residual coating of PTFE on the friction surfaces of an engine, Nulon has adopted precisely the
same procedure without the inclusion of PTFE. In all instances the engine concerned seized the
main bearings within five kilometres."

Paul

..and more debatable information here.

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs ... .htmEdited by - paul knapp on 26 Dec 2007 03:50:02 AM
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Circlip

ACTIV-8 oil additive

Post by Circlip »

These claims although Impressive dont concern me. I have no intention of asking this stuff to do this or anything like.

On U tube?-- (is that what you call it) there is a guy with an old chev . He fills the engine with water, starts it and puts a brick on the throttle.

This kind of treatment to an engine that has given its entire life hurts me, really I dont like this sort of thing.

However the engine glows red hot --it is smoking and rattling but takes 10 and more minutes of this before the poor thing stops dead.

Its like whipping an 80 year old and making them push a garden roller up a hill untill they die.

Intollerable cruelty.

poplargreg

ACTIV-8 oil additive

Post by poplargreg »

quote:
Being a cynical old sod, can anyone answer this - If these additives are so effective, why is it the major oil companies don't include these magical ingredients during manufacture?.

My car's manufacturer recommends a quite expensive "part synthetic oil". Maybe this is a mineral oil with one of these additives included?
Samuel

ACTIV-8 oil additive

Post by Samuel »

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_additive.htm
----------------------------------------------------
ok now - I do not know why it failed earlier on my system....

this link does not appear to be correctEdited by - Samuel on 26 Dec 2007 1:59:23 PMEdited by - Samuel on 26 Dec 2007 6:28:31 PM
Sam
Biscuit
Deceased

ACTIV-8 oil additive

Post by Biscuit »

Well the link worked for me (ignore the 'Snake oil' heading.

This should be required reading for all who favour the additives.

This must surely answer the original question.

Merlin

ACTIV-8 oil additive

Post by Merlin »

What was it?
Chemists do it with test tubes
poplargreg

ACTIV-8 oil additive

Post by poplargreg »

quote:
This must surely answer the original question.

It does indeed. Nuff sed?
Biscuit
Deceased

ACTIV-8 oil additive

Post by Biscuit »

In my youth, oh so long ago, I can recall a couple of gimmicks. Who remembers the spark intensifier or the inlet diffuser, all supposed to give better starting, improved fuel consumption and better performance. In fact, use them all, and after cruising on your G3 at 100MPH plus for 50 miles the fuel tank would be overflowing!

And the bug deflector, fitted to the bonnet of cars, useless under 150 MPH.

I particularly liked the findings of Briggs & Stratton and Lycoming, surely names to trust.Edited by - Biscuit on 26 Dec 2007 8:02:28 PM

Samuel

ACTIV-8 oil additive

Post by Samuel »

And does anyone remember the Mangoletsi Manifold Modifier !
Sam