Poor starting on G12

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
itma

Poor starting on G12

Post by itma »

Replace the bottom nut with a long nut as fitted to Triumphs with magnetos.
You can make one easily from a bit of hex bar, drilled and threaded at the end.
Don Madden

Poor starting on G12

Post by Don Madden »

For the bottom nut I simply wedge a flat screwdriver between one flat & the engine case. I have small fingers so am able to get the nut into position for assembly.

Cheers, Don.
Steve Dempster

Poor starting on G12

Post by Steve Dempster »

Itma - that was suggested to me byour local mechanic but, on having a look, it seems a very tight line to clear the gearbox mounting plates (the whole thing is a bit of a shoehorn job if you ask me). It would save lots of effing and blinding though!
Regards
Steve Dempster
Steve Dempster

Poor starting on G12

Post by Steve Dempster »

Don - finally managed to get it out by immobilising the nut with a slim 1/4 W spanner then grinding a 1/4 W socket down the bolt was turned against the nut. I am not looking forward to replacing it though!
Regards
Steve Dempster
lawrence

Poor starting on G12

Post by lawrence »

quote:
why do you have a 'Heart of England' site? Milton Keynes? That's down South! EVERYBODY knows the real Heart of England is Hereford & Worcester....

Come along next Thursday night and say that

(This is a joke by the way!)
TommoT

Poor starting on G12

Post by TommoT »

quote:
By the way Tommo - I don't know what you think about G12's but in the brief period mine was operational it was just such a nice bike to ride don't you think? (PS don't worry about the American stocks they will bounce back (eventually!)).

Yes, I can't wait till spring comes around. I like the rasping sound of the silencer from the siamese exhaust that's fitted to mine and the swift accelleration as well! A nice contrast to the G80. I guess the G80 will always be my favourite, after all it was my first! (and comparisons to other aspecst of life are not completely out of line here...)
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Steve Dempster

Poor starting on G12

Post by Steve Dempster »

Lawrence - when I get mi moped out on the road I'm gonna, ride, ride, ride......

Maybe even down to MK!
Regards
Steve Dempster
Circlip

Poor starting on G12

Post by Circlip »

Ha ha you gotta wait till when???

Phew it hot today, lovely sky.
Steve Dempster

Poor starting on G12

Post by Steve Dempster »

Circlip that is unworthy of you. None of us can help where we were born and live (damn, damn, damn......)
Regards
Steve Dempster
Steve Dempster

Poor starting on G12

Post by Steve Dempster »

HAve been to see Mr. cooper who dismantled the mag in about fifteen seconds flat (bit like watching one of those Rubik's cube experts!). Looked a bit of a mess to me but he reckoned it wasn't too bad (I get the idea he doesn't like to worry people unneccesarily) and told me to come back in three weeks or so. Oh well, might as well get the metal polish out....Edited by - Steve Dempster on 04 Jan 2008 12:45:56 PM
Regards
Steve Dempster