Poor starting on G12

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Steve Dempster

Poor starting on G12

Post by Steve Dempster »

Well after my bragging about roaring around on my G12 and how it runs so well etc etc etc it has now got a sulk on since the cold weather clamped its chilly hand on us. I mean bad starting. In fact not bad starting but no starting at all beyond a few half-hearted rumbles and some truly spectacular backfires and sore right foot as the pedal attempts to launch me through the garage roof. Good job I'm a big lad. SO - plugs are virtually new, took em out and they were a bit sooty but not coalmine-like by any means. When it was running earlier in the week it was really crisp on the throttle and did run very well. Is this just symptomatic of heaps of old iron with magnetos fitted (all my previous bikes had coil) or is it the cold? Or have I been infected with a gremlin? I have tried all A/R & choke combinations but it still sits there annoyingly silent whilst I wheeze and steam. Any ideas (besides buying a Kawasaki?)(Sorry I did not say that).Edited by - Steve Dempster on 14 Dec 2007 12:40:06 AM
Regards
Steve Dempster
paul knapp

Poor starting on G12

Post by paul knapp »

Sounds as if you have an ignition problem !!, could be something as simple as damp H/T leads, what with all the wet, cold weather you have.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

crawsue

Poor starting on G12

Post by crawsue »

I know this won't go to well with the connissenti(?) but how about a wee squirt of "easy start"? Nothing more annoying than a 'bike which sulks in the cold weather........that's our job.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Steve Dempster

Poor starting on G12

Post by Steve Dempster »

Easy start and WD40? What? I couldn't possibly do that. It started easily today and had nothing to do with that stuff from Bradex and the other stuff was to just, er, stop any possiblity of rust and the like. Yes.

Thanks to both!
Regards
Steve Dempster
Eric

Poor starting on G12

Post by Eric »

You mention various settings of A&R and choke, but not flooding the carb, when starting from cold this seems essential on some bikes.
Circlip

Poor starting on G12

Post by Circlip »

On my 250 I tickle the carb untill it is dripping with fuel, it starts 1st or 2nd or--

I remember those days of trying to start sweating freezing engines in a garage some where in North England.

Having to breath to one side so as to see what you are doing, and your fingers and toes numb with the cold Horrible horrible days.

If I was an engine I too would not want to start in that weather.
crawsue

Poor starting on G12

Post by crawsue »

Oi! Circlip,that's enough of all that cold 'orrible stuff,15th December,Glasgow......further north of both Warsaw and Moscow......this morning the Greenkeeper had the greens cut ,yesterday they cut all the fairways!!!!Throw another prawn on the barbie.....
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Steve Dempster

Poor starting on G12

Post by Steve Dempster »

Well now the ultimate horribility has happened - the mag has packed up. It happened thus: Started bike - not too bad, just double hernia. Thundered off to post office. Came out of PO, started first prod. Whee! Oops - need petrol. Off to fill up. Fill up, come to start bike - Sweet FA. Nada. Zilch. Went home in an Eriksons recovery vehicle, bike suspended off the huge rear carrier thingy and self with head under blanket to hide embarrasment. Old bikes, eh?

Added later: and the damned seat cover has just split. Anybody know who does them for G12's?Edited by - Steve Dempster on 21 Dec 2007 5:28:20 PM
Regards
Steve Dempster
SPRIDDLER

Poor starting on G12

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hmm. That's tough Steve.
Still, look on the bright side - with the way petrol's going up in price the saving on that tankfull will pay for the mag reconditioning - if it really is necessary.

These folk are well spoken of for all things seat-wise...

http://www.rk-leighton.co.uk/

You're welcome.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Steve Dempster

Poor starting on G12

Post by Steve Dempster »

Thanks Spriddler. Having driven naught but modern cars for a while I had forgotten how, er, sensitive old Brit bikes can be. There are still sparks from the mag but they are intermittent and look a bit 'weak'. Any ideas of other causes for this beside internal breakdown? I would like to avoid parting with what looks like being a fairly hefty wodge of cash just at the moment! Had a look at the Leighton site - A1.
Regards
Steve Dempster