Dynamo Strap for Don Madden

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
gsneyd

Post by gsneyd »

In an earlier message (2006?) Don Madden stated that there was a drawing under "Technical/Do_it_youself/dynamo_strap."
Don can you please help me to locate this drawing (noddies guide for aged)as I can't find it from the above route.

Thanks Graham
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Graham
I guess Don's just having a lie-in at the moment. I sent him a P.M. asking exactly the same question after a fruitless search, but the strap drawing is actually in 'Christian's Archives' not on this Jampot site. Try:

http://www.mc-albion.dk/AMC/Technical/

Hmm, rather large address but it took me straight to it!
You'll need Adobe Acrobat to view the drawing - (He pompositised, repeating his 9 yr old nephew's instructions!). Kid's eh?!!

Later...
Link didn't work after posting it, so have pasted shorter link now and you'll just need to select 'Dynamo Strap' to view Don's sketch. Huh!Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 02 Dec 2007 12:55:46 PM

Later still..
Link still didn't work so have tried again. If that doesn't work you'll have to wait for Don to get up. I'm off to the pub.Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 02 Dec 2007 12:58:35 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

...try this:

DIY dynamo strap

Should work fine, it will get you to the index.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
...try this:

DIY dynamo strap

Should work fine, it will get you to the index.

0.K. Tom, I'll stick to spannering
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

I notice that there are drawings / dimensions for a tool-box for a G80 CS,looks similar to the rare tool-box often searched for the earlier h/w trials machines.Is it the same? Or could it be modified?
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Wasn't dozing off! Rode out to a swap meet, (autojumble) to look over the wares. Acres of accessories for Harleys, some old Japanese stuff & not enough British items to fill a pail. Could not find anything I could not live without. 150mi. round trip through the worlds longest parking lot, (Los Angeles freeway system), is not the most fun, but got some fresh air.

Years ago I made up several line drawings of unobtainium sheet metal items for scramblers. I used original parts of my own & some borrowed from others to make the drawings. I hold the originals, but I have shared copies with the NA Section & with others on request.

As there was little market for these in the UK, no one there was interested in making them.
Our North American section found a member to make these in limited numbers for the section. It has been a policy not to restrict them, but to sell to anyone who needs them.

These include battery boxes, number plates, crankcase shields, air cleaners & various brackets used on mid-fifties & later scramblers.

The two tool boxes are for the 1960-62 CS & the 1963-up CS, which differ only in the amount of lateral offset of the box on its brackets. I believe the factory used the same box as the earlier trials & scramblers, just modified the brackets for different models & years.

I believe a competent shop or person could make the box from the drawing & fabricate the correct brackets from a pattern. I am also sure they could be ordered from our secretary, John Diederich without brackets for modification.

Christian's Archives are found at: http://archives.jampot.dk/ Please respect the great amount of work & expense Christian puts into maintaining this site as well as the other contributors. Other web sites carrying this info may not be authorised & if so, are in violation of copywrite laws.

Cheers, Don.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Graham, (thinks....), of course you could save yourself the effort and buy a new dynamo strap from AMC Classic Spares for £3.50.
Go on, spoil yerself!!
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

Thanks,Don.I have an old pal who gets a lot of pleasure from fettling and restoring old H/W trials and scramblers--usually ones with "pucka" competition engines,getting tool boxes for them is almost impossible,any that show up on Ebay go for silly money.He is not "on-line" but I will show him Christian's site,and let him decide if he can use the info there.Would I be correct in saying that the tool box in the old competition 'bikes was an optional extra?Seems like everyone is looking for 'em,surprised JSL hasn't had some made up in that case---money to be made,Jim !!!
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

On the other side of the pond, "competition" seems mostly to apply to trials, but over here to scrambles.

They were equiped differently as in "The Good 'Ol Days", competitors often rode their daily ride to the event & home after, requiring them the be roadworthy.

Scramblers were usually stripped of anything possible to reduce weight & lost parts. That's why there is such a shortage of the sheet metal items here.

Cheers, Don.Edited by - Don Madden on 03 Dec 2007 7:56:42 PM
gsneyd

Post by gsneyd »

Many thanks for the information. Found the web site and extracted a copy of the plate dwaring. I will probably take SPRIDDLERS advise and order one from AMC classic spares:what's a little more I'm already over £200 on this new get it going only second bike. One final question though. I am of the opinion that this strap fits between the engine plates and retains the dynamo in a latteral position. Is this correct? Does the strap attach to the dynamo using the 2 screws on the side of the dynamo (field securing screws?) My bike does not have such a strap fitted, but does have a bent curved retaining strap rod (Due to overtightening!)