The AMC gearbox

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
deshollier
Deceased

The AMC gearbox

Post by deshollier »

While looking for sources of useful information for the upkeep of my Commando, I came across a US based supplier who has a really excellent range of articles on restoration/overhaul. What has this got to do with AMC products you might ask. Just remember the shared AMC gearbox. If you are about to overhaul yours or just want to know a bit more on the workings and adjustments, take a look at www.oldbritts.com/ob_new_bike.html Go to section 8 and take you pick. The articles are very helpful and the photos are superb.
lawrence

The AMC gearbox

Post by lawrence »

Superb. Really easy for a novice like me to understand too.
Biscuit
Deceased

The AMC gearbox

Post by Biscuit »

Note the method of securing the K/S spring, much better than the AMC boxes I have met. Was this, I'll call it a mod., fitted to AJS/Matchless?

PGGuse

The AMC gearbox

Post by PGGuse »

quote:
Note the method of securing the K/S spring, much better than the AMC boxes I have met. Was this, I'll call it a mod., fitted to AJS/Matchless?

Yes. I think this mod was introduced in the early 60s
Biscuit
Deceased

The AMC gearbox

Post by Biscuit »

That means I have repaired at least two bikes with the wrong gearbox!!!!

PGGuse

The AMC gearbox

Post by PGGuse »

quote:
That means I have repaired at least two bikes with the wrong gearbox!!!!

It's no particular feat to make the modification by yourself, provided yo have a grinder, a drilling m/c, a lathe and a hammer available - and the spring with the big loopEdited by - PGGuse on 27 Oct 2007 11:37:12 PM
Biscuit
Deceased

The AMC gearbox

Post by Biscuit »

If they were my bikes I probably would do this.

I did notice that the new springs from JSL have longer legs that go in that, often enlarged, hole.

matman

The AMC gearbox

Post by matman »

quote: Just remember the shared AMC gearbox. If you are about to overhaul yours or just want to know a bit more on the workings and adjustments, take a look at www.oldbritts.com/ob_new_bike.html Go to section 8 and take you pick. The articles are very helpful and the photos are superb.

There also exists an excellent video/DVD with Mick Hemmings completely dismantling and rebuilding an AMC (in this case: Norton Commando) gearbox, also explaining the difference between the Norton and the AJS/Matchless-type.
As far as I know this very helpful item is available at the Norton Owners Club (I only have stored a copy on my PC). Recommended!!
bag-o-nails

The AMC gearbox

Post by bag-o-nails »

Have a look here too

http:www.britishonly.com/tech/manuals/workshop.asp

Norton ETC, LUCAS Archives
snatchpiece

The AMC gearbox

Post by snatchpiece »

The site with the gearbox info is superb, is the box identical to the one on my G12 or is it just similar? I hope I never have to work on mine, but in case I do this info will be helpful if it applies.
A clever man can guess a woman's age,
A wise man never does.