Some general advice

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
itma

Some general advice

Post by itma »

No need to worry about 50 in the box
it in the other place that causes upsets of opinion.

"I am becoming worried about itma"
no need now my medication has stabilised
Steve Dempster

Some general advice

Post by Steve Dempster »

s'oright then! I just went out to start the brute but it's very reluctant still - it shows all signs of weak mixture and/or over-advanced timing ie kickbacks, blowback through carb etc. When it does get running it seems to be ok as far as A/R goes but it's not to happy when air lever is opened, even after running a couple of minutes. ideas
Regards
Steve Dempster
itma

Some general advice

Post by itma »

then theres not enough juice getting in, if you need the choke then its too weak, strip and clean the carb again,somethings blocked
Steve Dempster

Some general advice

Post by Steve Dempster »

Thanks itma - I'm coming to the same conclusion as it will NOT run off choke even after several minutes warm-up and a blast round the cul-de-sac where I live, though it DID show some signs of 'loading-up' when I gave it a handful. I was talking to a 'proper' bike mechanic today who suggested soakin the carb in coca-cola of all things - he reckons there's nowt finer for degunging the old monobloc AND it shines it up too! what do you reckon is prime suspect for a blockage?
Regards
Steve Dempster
itma

Some general advice

Post by itma »

The air feed at the end of the air screw, also the internal drillings in the jet block which are very fine.
Not sure I`m keen on the coca cola, which works fine on rust. I would worry on mazac.
you may need some very fine wire, fuse wire or thelike in the jet block, other wise biscuits favourite , the lighter gas refill, or if you want to get hi tech. sonic cleaning
Steve Dempster

Some general advice

Post by Steve Dempster »

Now there's a thought - I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I use on my razors - it's amazing on jewellery too, brooches etc - so I might give that a go. It's big enough to fit the entire carb in as well! Do you know, the one thing I didn't do was to strip out the jet block so I will give that a go as well. Now for a question that will doubtless cause guffaws amongst the wise. Never having owned a mag-powered bike before, I couldn't help wondering - does it matter which HT lead goes to which plug? I seem to remember reading somewhere that both plugs fire at the same time regardless of what stroke they're on......is that so?
Regards
Steve Dempster
Biscuit
Deceased

Some general advice

Post by Biscuit »

The plugs both don't fire at every engine revolution.

If you are timing the mag from scratch it matters not which lead goes where, after the timing has been set you can't swap them over.

Steve Dempster

Some general advice

Post by Steve Dempster »

Gotcha. That's probably why it wouldn't fire when I changed the HT leads for new ones - put the things on wrong way round! Changed 'em over and baroom! off we go!
Regards
Steve Dempster
Don Madden

Some general advice

Post by Don Madden »

The Coca-Cola legend is due to that it contains a small amount of phosphoric acid.

You can buy dilute phosphoric acid at many hardware & paint stores here or at marine supply stores. (American being spoken here).

It does a good job of cleaning corrosion but dip zinc, (carburetor bodies), or cast iron for only a short time as it will dissolve if left. It is safe for steel, chrome, nickel, brass, copper.

Cleans hardware well but will remove cadmium & zinc plating.

Spash some dry rum into the Coca-Cola & let it clean you out. When residing in the British West Indies I drank a lot of Rum & Coke. Developed stomach pains & the doctor said to avoid the concoction. I drank the rum straight up thereafter & had no more problems.

Where is Merlin when you need him?

Cheers, Don.
Steve Dempster

Some general advice

Post by Steve Dempster »

I think I'll stick to bits of fuse wire and my ultrasound cleaner - at least it doesn't dissolve things
Regards
Steve Dempster