matchless G85CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
bag-o-nails

matchless G85CS

Post by bag-o-nails »

Eamonn
the above link works on google but not from the forum any idea's please
b-o-n
Biscuit
Deceased

matchless G85CS

Post by Biscuit »

Try removing the slash at the end.

I feel I'm putting my foot in it here, BUT given that the G85C/S has an AMC gearbox with the cable entering almost horizontally into the box, how does it foul the exhaust pipe?

bag-o-nails

matchless G85CS

Post by bag-o-nails »

bag-o-nails

matchless G85CS

Post by bag-o-nails »

no that did not work
bag-o-nails

matchless G85CS

Post by bag-o-nails »

Hello Frank

I have just realised the web site is yours
why did you not post the link?

cheers b-o-n
G15 Roy

matchless G85CS

Post by G15 Roy »

Roy
bag-o-nails

matchless G85CS

Post by bag-o-nails »

Thats It!! Well done Roy
you know the new zealand section has a lot of good stuff on there site
some of the links would have a lot of benifits
to all the members?
frank
I am a bit surprised you did not explain about your web site?
maybe you should contact the webmaster about a permanent link on the uk club site

cheers b-o-n
mdt-son

matchless G85CS

Post by mdt-son »

quote:
The reason for the 7R hub was likely little more than they had some left, and wanted to use them up.

Wrong. The reason was weight fighting. They needed to keep weight down, so they took the lightest hub they had which was the 7R racing hub. Still, it's not a direct fit - AMC machined it and fitted a different axle, spacers, chainwheel and thicker spokes. These measures did work but also raised the bike's cost considerably.

I am sure anyone who examines details of the G85 and peruses the spares list will be amazed of the amount of engineering which went into the bike. It must have cost AMC a small fortune in tooling costs. The oil tank for instance is a work of art. Primary chaincase was a special alloy pressing. Fork lugs were special. The superlight frame made of Renolds 531 braced tubing was special (at least two versions were made) - very costly to make. Some 20 special tools for the frame jig had to be designed and fabricated. (While Norton had the racing Featherbed frames (in R531 as well) made by Renolds, AMC made all their frames in-house. Footrests are of advanced design - superlight yet strong. GRP parts required a lot of moulds too - neither simple nor inexpensive to make. This is truly an advanced bike from a manufacturing point of view.

The assertion of AMC having to use up surplus parts is cheap and mostly not true.

Knut Sonsteby
itma

matchless G85CS

Post by itma »

you are quite right.

My comment in 2007, some 5 years ago was tongue in cheek, I did not realise back then that G85CS was a war zone.
mdt-son

matchless G85CS

Post by mdt-son »

Hi itma,
Topics never die when it comes to classic bikes :-)
Sorry, I did not realise your were joking. There are a lot of people out there with biased opinions and lack of knowledge. So, you think the G85CS fraternity is a war zone? Try entering the P11 interest group ...!!
BTW, were you employed by AMC in the 60's?

Knut Sonsteby