Petrol tank fuel tap sizing

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
lchris21

Post by lchris21 »

Hi,
I would like to replace the fuel taps on my 1960 350 lightweight as part of the restoration as my originals are looking a little worse for wear. I know there are seal kits available for refurbing, but the plating is generally pretty scabby so I'd like to change.
My originals are 1/8" BSP or Gas, im not sure but 1/8" all the same. There are replacement 1/8" taps available but are much £££££ more expensive than the more common 1/4" fitting type.
I'm in two minds whether to drill & re-tap the welded boss on the tank to accept the larger size. Has anyone done this on a lightweight or other tank succesfully? I'm a little dubious about doing it because it looks as if there will be very little wall thickness left after the process. I have all the tools/capability to do it but don't want to cause damage to my repainted tank.
The 1/4 valves are available in various shapes and configurations, but 1/8" not so.
I know you can get 1/8" to 1/4" adaptors but you have to run without the integral strainer/filter. Something I'm not keen on.
Any suggestions apart form digging deep ?
ThanksEdited by - lchris21 on 31 Aug 2007 4:09:15 PM
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

Is there enough 'meat' on the 1/4" end to turn it down to run an 1/8" BSP die over so to convert it to the reqd size?
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

itma

Post by itma »

do a search on taps,Biscuit has put on file a remedy for petrol taps using taps from B&Q or the like
lolski

Post by lolski »

if there is not enough meat on the 1/4 end and you have a lathe or know some body perhapes an adaptor with 1/8 to go into tank 1/4 tapped ?

regards Laurence
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

There is a far better solution than mine.

Sidecar600, 17th.Oct. 2005, General topics. Search for 'Pirtek'

Worth a look.Edited by - Biscuit on 01 Sep 2007 08:45:47 AM

lchris21

Post by lchris21 »

Great stuff,
I like lateral thinking. Thats what engineering's all about.
I will report back.
Lchris