Kickstart woes

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
lchris21

Kickstart woes

Post by lchris21 »

Hi,
I'm having, how they say a few technical problems on the kickstart front. My 1960 lightweight restoration is going well. I even got the thing started (1st time in 19 years its run !), but with the new rings and general engine refurb, the increased compression has meant the demise of the kickstart spline. It was looking slightly dodgy before hand, having been welded around the spline area in a previous life, but it has inevitably failed. To cut a long story short the splines are no longer in existence, but the ones on the shaft seem ok though.
To cut a long story short again, I've acquired a much beefier looking setup (possible amc, Norton so I'm told?)but unfortunately the spline sizes are different diameter. My lightweight is 5/8", this is 7/8". I cannot return the replacement, so am stuck with it.
Question 1:
Is there some sort of spline adaptor available that will allow me to fit over the shaft and allow the larger diameter kickstart to fit?
Question 2:
Is this kickstart I have, from a different model AJS, AMC, whatever? possibly that someone would like to trade for the correct size?
The shaft is idetical in profile and same foot rest fixing as the one (broken) I have.

Any info/help greatfully recieved.

Thanks
bag-o-nails

Kickstart woes

Post by bag-o-nails »

Lightweight kickstart lever AMC CLASSIC SPARES £ 40.00 give em a ring the number is in jampot mag, had one for mine just the job
cheers b-o-n
bag-o-nails

Kickstart woes

Post by bag-o-nails »

Hi Chris
just had a thought tony surbey amc c/s will
probably do you a part ex on your lever. They
are very hard to find elswhere i know from experience, tel;01462 811770
Have you thought about joining the club as a full member it does need our support and you
can access a lot more of this site, oh by the way which model do you have.
Regards b-o-n
lchris21

Kickstart woes

Post by lchris21 »

Cheers B-O-N,
Have spoken to Tony. Very nice & helpful chap. Have had lots of stuff and info from him in the past highly recommended.
Looks like a swap may be on the cards.
Thanks for the tip.