18s

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
eagle56

18s

Post by eagle56 »

I have an AJS 18s in good condition and used it to work and back recently.
I have since stripped the clutch and now I'm having trouble getting it to work again.
Im thinking of selling it it is a 1952 with a single seat and a rack fitted and comes with pillian pegs and a spare duel seat, how much do
you think it is worth as is or fixed.Edited by - eagle56 on 29 Jul 2007 2:36:09 PM
Biscuit
Deceased

18s

Post by Biscuit »

Shall we get it right first. What is the problem?

eagle56

18s

Post by eagle56 »

the clutch basket became loose,I took it apart and put it back together again it them stuck in not allowing me to be able to kick it over.
Biscuit
Deceased

18s

Post by Biscuit »

Do you mean the clutch centre, the drum that carries the plain plates with internal dogs? it is held on with a largish nut with a lock washer that threads over one of the clutch spring posts. If it was this that was loose and the clutch has been adjusted to suit, then tightening it up will lose the free play, holding the clutch disengaged. You probably need to adjust the withdrawal mechanism.

eagle56

18s

Post by eagle56 »

I Will have to strip it down again.

When I strippeed it last time the lock waser was at the back of the cluth centre and there was free play on the clutch lever but I have now put it on the other side and now there is no free plat at all even when the cable is adjusted in as far as it would go.

there is a centre nut on the clutch cover this is stuck tight and will not adjust.
Biscuit
Deceased

18s

Post by Biscuit »

Thee are two adjustments associated with the clutch, the cable adjuster and the centre screw and nut you refer to. The cable adjuster is just that, to take up the free play, it does not properly adjust the clutch.

To properly adjust the clutch you must free off the centre screw, try heat, ie on the gas ring. With out the screw adjustment you are doomed to failure. Once it is freed off, you adjust the clutch thus:-

The clutch withdrawal mechanism works by three balls riding out of dimples when the clutch lever is operated. There are two adjustments, the cable adjuster at the gear box end, and one in the clutch spring pressure plate. To adjust, slacken cable adjuster at gearbox end as far as possible, ensuring that the cam plate is pushed back. Slacken off the centre locknut and screw the centre thrust cup in until it lightly contacts the push rod, undo half a turn and lock with the nut, ensuring the thrust cup does not turn. Nipping back to the offside adjust the cable to give 1/8" to 3/16" play at the lever. Unless the ball ramps are badly worn, this should do the trick.

Important, the cable adjuster is just that, to adjust free play at the lever, it is NOT to adjust the clutch.