Gear box oil

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AJSFinland

Gear box oil

Post by AJSFinland »

Hello,

I think I put too much oil into my gear box ( M 18 ). Now it sweats out some as white(?) liquid stuff, as there would be water in it, which is impossible. Strange indeed. It sweats ( or leaks ) from the gear axle / gear shifter. And from other leak it comes clean oil...???

Should I be worried? Will it hold herself together until I get to my garage, about 10 miles? What is the correct amount of oil, 3 pints? What oil should I use, model is 1952 500 AJS.

Cheers

Jussi

Wruuummm...
Biscuit
Deceased

Gear box oil

Post by Biscuit »

Gearbox capacity is one pint, the three pints is for lightweights. The original recommendation was engine oil, ie monograde.

The white stuff is condensation, ride it for longer periods! There is a breathing hole in the gearbox inspection/filler cap, some caps don't have this , why I don't know. Check to see if you have one.

AJSFinland

Gear box oil

Post by AJSFinland »

Cheers,

I thought that what the ... because 3 pints was way too much. Cheers. And condensation happens because there is too much oil, right?

Thanky you very much :) Now the machine works otherwise faultless :)

JussiEdited by - AJSFinland on 27 Jul 2007 12:18:11 PM
Wruuummm...
Biscuit
Deceased

Gear box oil

Post by Biscuit »

Condensation has nothing to do with the volume of oil, it arises as the box warms up, get the box thoroughly warm each time and you shouldn't have a problem.

Or emigrate to a warmer country!!!!!!!!, with the gearbox of course.