Should buffer springs be fitted???

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Yes '48-'50 didn't have damper rods, they had a shuttle above the bottom bush. Discontinued due to noise, reverted back to damper rods. The oil content for shuttle type forks is 248cc. per leg.

The damping works due to the restriction of the oil in the damper tube, haven't a clue how the shuttle version works, except it must cover/uncover holes in the stanchion.Edited by - Biscuit on 24 Jul 2007 11:46:22 AMEdited by - Biscuit on 24 Jul 2007 12:27:37 PM

Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

On compression oil enters the bottom of the stantion tube, past the open shuttle valve and flows freely into the space between the stantion tube and the slider, confined by the two bushes.

As the stantion nears bottoming out the damper cone bolted into the bottom of the slider enters the bottom of the stantion & progressively restricts oil flow. This progressive damping on compression is also found on the rod type used on other designs by the tapered shoulder at the bottom of the damper tube.

On rebound the shuttle valve closes forcing the oil trapped between stantion & slider to flow through the small holes drilled into the tube greatly restricting the flow & movement.

As the forks top out, the buffer spings ease the sliders down cushioning them.

Cheers, Don.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Excellent Don, as in other cases, I shall, at a later date, pretend I knew this all along!

itma

Post by itma »

there are no buffer springs on WD G3L teles. unless some one has modified them.
All WD teles will drop the oilseal holders way below the shrouds. when the wheel is out.Well, about an inch anyway. Normal, no need to fret
Have a look in the manual appropriate to the bike, not a later one.Edited by - itma on 24 Jul 2007 10:40:48 PM
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Stand corrected then Ken, didn't have them in 1941 either.

desmo

Post by desmo »

Hi all.

185cc versus 248cc.
I guess thats the problem.
Will top up and see what hapens.
Thank you for the information Biscuit and Don.
Now I also know, why the repro stantion I bought did not fit my forks. ´48 to ´51 only, now thats tricky.

Norman
mick williams

Post by mick williams »

Thanks to you all for your input. I hope to be on the road soon as long as I have not hit too many other set backs. There is a local chap near me who MOT,s bikes and rides old brit bikes himself. Hopefully he will will be sympathetic with regards to this idiosyncracy of wd era teledraulic forks. I'll speak to him first before reassembling them, and if required add the buffers etc. I'm hoping take the bike to meets rallies etc and might well do it anyway.

Itma's point about getting stuck in the mud certainly gave me food for thought. I,m over 6 foot and about 14 1/2 stone but do'nt really fancy wrestling with an old heavy weight Matchless in a mud bath, if theres something I can do to make life a little easier! Given our present summer to date in the UK I think it will be money and time well spent!
RIDE FREE AND STAY UPRIGHT