Should buffer springs be fitted???

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mick williams

Post by mick williams »

Hi to anyone who is reading this. I,m new to these hallowed pages having recently aquired an ex wd 3GL, that has stood for about 20 years. After tinkering about for a day or 2 I have had the old girl running having used much information from this forum from info on leaky taps to leaky chain cases etc. Having got this far I have spent many hours in my shed completly dimantling the bike to restore her to her former glory. Whem I removed the front wheel the tele hydraualic forks dropped down about 2inches. I have now dismantled the fork legs completely and it appears that there are no buffer springs installed which accounts for the extra free travel (when the front wheel was removed and the forks were still in place the inner rods could be pulled up about 2 inches above the top yoke.

On reading an early manual that I have aquired when describing the re-assembly of the fork legs it mentions the buffer springs (if fitted).

Does anyone know if this is common practice or if there are no buffer springs should the inner rods be shorter? Or alternativley with the existing inner rods would they work properly with the correct amount of oil (not sure how much was in there as most of it went over my jeans and my brother in law's workshop floor!).

Finally where can I get hold of said items if required.

Any help on the subject will be much appreciated

Regards Mick

RIDE FREE AND STAY UPRIGHT
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

According to the spares manuals, in 1946 buffer springs were not fitted, in 1947 they were. In both cases the fork tubes (stanchions) are the same part No.

Note this is purely from the literature, I don't have personal experience.

mick williams

Post by mick williams »

Thanks for your help. What I was wondering was wether the inner rods were different (damper rods) that is to say the solid rods which screw into the crown bolts which are then locked with the lock nuts. Perhaps I'm just being thick but I can't see how having oil in there is going to stop the forks dropping down that extra 2 inchs or so. Before dismantling them when the front wheel was out there was a two inch gap between the upper shroud and the sleeve that screws into the lower ali fork tube, the upper damper spring could be moved up and down through the gap with no resistance (approx 2 inches).

I have made up some new leather washers and have fasioned a tool to draw the stantions into the top yoke lug. Just need to sus out if these blimmin things are missing or I,ve got the wrong rods!

I,m still confused so any help appreciated
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but wouldn't the addition of buffer springs make up this 2"?

As far as I can gather, the damper rods are all the same.Edited by - Biscuit on 23 Jul 2007 6:08:08 PM

mick williams

Post by mick williams »

mick williams

Post by mick williams »

Errm yeah you are probably right if the buffer springs are about 2 inches long that will do it. I thought they might be larger, but only have some badly scanned images from a cd I bought on ebay from an old manual in pdf format! Better add 2 of those 2 my growing shopping list!

Thanx again Mick
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

They are around 2 3/4" long. JSL only do them for 1 1/4" forks, Tony Surbey has second hand ones, and I think I'm a little more than probably right!

bag-o-nails

Post by bag-o-nails »

hi there
i have just had a look at a drawing for heavyweight teledraulic forks i think there are
a couple of other parts you will need to go with
the buffer springs, oil seal front forks,
bush top plastic for inner tube ,coller for buffer springs (maybe they come as a kit)?
cheers
b-o-n
itma

Post by itma »

all WD forks of my experience do this.
you want to have one stuck in some mud and try to pull the bike out to appreciate how much of this movement is there.
I wouln't worry about it, you probably have very early teledraulics.
desmo

Post by desmo »

Hello all.

Same topic, next question:
on my 1948 G80 there are no damper rods as described by Mick at all.
As I remember the forks worked fine without them before a major overhaul, but now after re-assembly there is no damping at all. Filled with 185cc of oil per leg.
Where there any forks without the rods?

I also have not yet quite understood how the damping of these forks work.
Who can explain?

Norman