SR1 MAG.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
laxy

SR1 MAG.

Post by laxy »

Heres an easy one for you magneto buffs.Im putting new points in my mag.I forgot to note where the little fibre washer goes.Is it between the contact breaker lever and the fixed contact plate or is it fitted behind the fixed plate? many thanks,Keith
itma

SR1 MAG.

Post by itma »

fibre washer on stud
looped end of breaker spring
loop of condenser wire
nylon bush
plain washer
spring washer
nutEdited by - itma on 21 Jul 2007 8:38:14 PM
Biscuit
Deceased

SR1 MAG.

Post by Biscuit »

Perhaps Laxy is speaking of the moving contact pivot. There should be a fibre washer on the pivot between the moving contact and the backplate.

The moving contact, the leaf spring, the square headed screw/bolt plus nut, the condenser lead, the lead from the bowels of the magneto must all be insulated from the magneto body.

laxy

SR1 MAG.

Post by laxy »

Thanks Ken/Alan for your replies.
I have both the Roy Bacon restoration book and his restoring m/cycle electrics book. The problem is the text on page28 of the later just reads "make sure all the small insulating washers go back in the right place when changing the points.
It would help electrical dunces like me if it described just where "the right place " is.
Alan, from your reply I assume I need to fit a fibre washer over the dowel on the magneto backing plate and then fit the c.b. plate over this followed by the c.b. with the "leaf spring".
The square headed bolt is shown fitted with a nylon washer turned up on one side under the head thus insulating it.
I am now left with two wires and the slotted end of the leaf spring to connect to this bolt. Do they need insulating from each other with fibre washers or is it o.k. to fit all three to the bolt and secure with washer and nut?
Sorry to be so long winded on this but I would rather not burn my mag out for the sake of one misplaced fibre washer.
Biscuit
Deceased

SR1 MAG.

Post by Biscuit »

Mr. Bacon assumes that electrical dunces take careful note of what goes where when they are taken apart, a somewhat forlorn assumption.

That's the slapped wrist bit.

The fibre washer fits over the pivot against the adjustable plate, and the leaf spring and moving point goes on after, thus achieving the object of ensuring that the leaf spring does not short out against the adjustable plate. The slotted end of the leaf spring fits under the nut and washer WITH A FIBRE WASHER BETWEEN IT AND THE FIXED BRACKET. The two wires fit UNDER the square head of the bolt against the nylon insulator.

If you are still unsure, send me your E-Mail address via PM and I'll send a pic.Edited by - Biscuit on 22 Jul 2007 4:04:12 PM

laxy

SR1 MAG.

Post by laxy »

Thanks for your time and patience Alan, all is crystal clear now.
Experience has taught me never to assume something has been correctly assembled by the previous owner.
If only the manuals gave more comprehensive imformation in some areas there would be no need to "suck it and see"
Three cheers for this forum I say!!!
56G80S

SR1 MAG.

Post by 56G80S »

Laxy

I recall that there's a PDF file of the SR1 Lucas manual on the net. When I get home from work I'll forward to you, if the sawdust works between the ears and I remember!

Johnny B
Biscuit
Deceased

SR1 MAG.

Post by Biscuit »

That Lucas service sheet does indeed show the connection arrangement. However it omits to mention the fibre washer on the pivot post.

Hopefully I have posted a photo. of an SR1, brand new when I bought it, that hasn't been altered in this respect. So hopefully it is correct.

56G80S

SR1 MAG.

Post by 56G80S »

Laxy

Looks like Biscuit has all the angles covered, but here's the place to go for the SR1 manual, which includes an exploded diagram.

http://217.157.196.176:8181/ajs/Technic ... manual.pdf[/url]

Johnny B
laxy

SR1 MAG.

Post by laxy »

Good stuff Johnny,well done and thanks