18S Rockerbox Fitment

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
LoneStar

18S Rockerbox Fitment

Post by LoneStar »

Folks,

A couple of questions about the rockerbox fastening on my 1954 18S:

- The spares list shows 9 bolts, all 5/16" BSF, and each fitted with a flat washer. Does oil tend to seep out past the bolt heads, and if so would it help to use some gasket sealant on the washers?

- Despite all the bolts being 5/16", and the threads in the head being 5/16", two of the holes in my rockerbox are easily large enough for 3/8" bolts (see http://www.vincent-hrd.co.uk/images/rockerbox.jpg). Any ideas on why this should be so? Should a sleeve be fitted over the bolts? (Can't find one in the spares list.) Or possibly it doesn't matter, as the other bolts will locate the cover and there won't be sideways force to contend with in any case?

Cheers,

Dave
bag-o-nails

18S Rockerbox Fitment

Post by bag-o-nails »

Hi dave
i don't know about your bike but on my 250csr
two of the bolt's are for mounting the top engine to frame bracket
CHEER'S
Phill
Biscuit
Deceased

18S Rockerbox Fitment

Post by Biscuit »

Someone has drilled these out for whatever reason. You have two courses of action here, either make up a sleeve or fit an extra thick washer under the head of the bolt, at least 3/32".

The two centre bolts should indeed have threaded extentions to take the head stay. When assembling don't forget to put these two bolt and the one nearest the rear, in before fitting the rockerbox, you won't get them in afterwards.

As long as the hole does not overlap the gasket, then oil cannot creep up the bolt.

Don Madden

18S Rockerbox Fitment

Post by Don Madden »

Hi, Dave. The head material is quite soft & it is not unusual to have stripped out threads for the rocker bolts, especially the two central ones with the extensions which fasten the top mount.

Easily repaired by a helicoil & since this size is often a problem, it is worthwhile to get a kit.

The threads in the head are British Standard Fine & kits are available in the US from British Tool & Fastner, (www.britishfastners.com). They have a broad range of tools & hardware in the various British Standard forms.

The gasket normally seals the bolt holes but if you have oversize bolts, they may not seal.

Cheers, Don.
Chazzyb

18S Rockerbox Fitment

Post by Chazzyb »

On my 18S, the heads on the bolts for the extreme forward and rear rocker box fixings have 0BA heads! Well, 0BA box and open ended spanners fit *exactly*. Threaded bit is the same as all the others.Edited by - Chazzyb on 11 Jul 2007 10:49:54 PM
Charles
Don Madden

18S Rockerbox Fitment

Post by Don Madden »

That's right Charles, the bolts do have smaller but longer heads to improve access. They are all 5/16in. BSF at the lower end but 5/16in. BSC on the short extensions.
Cheers, Don.
Biscuit
Deceased

18S Rockerbox Fitment

Post by Biscuit »

Yes, but they should not be 0BA heads, they are 3/16" Whit. There is 20thou across flats difference, so who ever made them cocked up their dimensions.

56G80S

18S Rockerbox Fitment

Post by 56G80S »

Just in case it gets lost in the volume of response, do heed Biscuit's advice:

When assembling don't forget to put these two bolt and the one nearest the rear, in before fitting the rockerbox, you won't get them in afterwards.

I found this out the hard way when I first took the rocker box off in my Dad's front garden 250 miles from home (long story). It's a very frustrating experience to start again.

When fitting the small head steady bracket, I usually cut a piece of old inner tube and put it round the frame top tube inside the circular strap.

Johnny BEdited by - 56G80S on 12 Jul 2007 12:46:07 PM
Biscuit
Deceased

18S Rockerbox Fitment

Post by Biscuit »

Isolastic engine mounting John?

56G80S

18S Rockerbox Fitment

Post by 56G80S »

The sophistication of my assembly techniques knows no bounds!

It's amazing the uses one can find for a screwdiver with the end broken off, but a really strong, impact resistant handle, particularly when refitting the engine and lining up the engine plates and mountings; ha ha.

Johnny B