Historic Vehicles and black yuck

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks to all the advisors, the MoT was passed yesterday. The tester even commented that the bike sounded good. Can't halp but think a hearing aid must be on his birthday list. He and the next to be tested (750 Bonneville) admired the new seat cover and didn't comment on the green piping (as made by father-in-law's wife).

When I came to get the tax disc, I was told that unless the V5C said
"historic vehicle" I'd have to pay £47. DVLC only sent the V5C a short while ago. I'd lost it and sent the old green log book, which fortunately I was in as I've had the 'bike so long. The new V5C says "bicycle". Is there any downside to changing the class? I plan to do it next Tuesday as I have a day off for another reason and was told it can be done at my local DVLC office. I want to be using the 'bike, which went well.

I did get some horrible black yuck out of the exhaust port, squirting past the pipe somehow (although it fits well in the head). Only did 12 miles. I haven't had the engine apart at all, it had just been stood for 13 years. Assume it'll clean up after a good run. The nice new oil is circulating well, and not getting dirty yet. Have changed to straight oil after many years of multigrade (shouldn't have typed that, it'll give rise to loads of competing comments). I plan to change the oil pretty early - cheaper than parts?

In contrast with some others comments, the brakes seem more than adequate, although I didn't go much over 50mph, not like when I used to hack up and down to London at 70 - 75!. Alan, I will be changing the brake stay arrangement, your view confirmed my own thoughts - thanks.

Johnny B
itma

Post by itma »

down side is you don't get to lay out £47 quid to the scottish mafia in Whitehall