Main bearings

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
RodneyK

Main bearings

Post by RodneyK »

Okay, I am ready to start the reassembly of my G9 engine. Is there a right or wrong way to insert the bearing into the case? I assume the printing on the outer race faces into the case but both sides look the same to me. I know I must heat the case and bang it on the bench to get the old one out. I’m a bit worried that won’t be easy. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
RodneyK

Re: Main bearings

Post by RodneyK »

I’ve read through the forum threads and will try heating the cases in the oven. The peening is scraped off so might go okay
Just need to know which way to insert the bearing into the case or maybe it doesn’t matter. Thanks all.
clive

Post by clive »

I am not sure it matters. I put the writing facing out so i could see what the reference was on the bearing if i ever need to change it again!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix

Post by 1608 »

I have successfully removed main bearings by placing the case in a washing-up bowl of boiling water and then only needing light taps to remove the bearing with a drift. Memsahib need never know !
Worth a try first, before stinking the house out.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

1608 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:29 am I have successfully removed main bearings by placing the case in a washing-up bowl of boiling water and then only needing light taps to remove the bearing with a drift. Memsahib need never know !
Worth a try first, before stinking the house out.
Far more aromatic than some of my ex-wife's cooking efforts. Whenever she was doing a roast I had to take the battery out of the smoke detector.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I have found them very difficult to remove. I've had them in the oven stinking hot and banged them down on 4" thick wood. Didn't move and yes I did scrape out the peening first. An old mechanic told me to put a couple of rings of mig weld around the inside and they'd just drop out. I was very sceptical but I thought I'd try it. It worked perfectly and the bearing rings fell out. No damage and no problem. I've just repeated it on my G11. Worked a treat. The weld must shrink them.
Dave.
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

Lots of good information there. Thanks.
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

Main bearings are in and the cases fitted together. The crankshaft turns smoothly but not easily. It does not exactly spin, but turns stiffly. How do I measure whether it is free enough to proceed? If not, what then? I followed the finger tight first procedure for the web and am not sure what to do next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Are you sure they are a matched pair?
Roy
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

The cases? Not really. They were part of a box of parts, that seemed to fit. Is there a way to tell?