Jampot Covers

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
matchlessG9

Jampot Covers

Post by matchlessG9 »

Hello. The jampot rear suspension units on my 1953 G9 work well but are a bit scruffy. The castings are OK but the black and chrome covers could do with either a refurb or replacement. I can see that I can buy these from the owners club. I was hoping that it would be a simple case of swapping them over. However, having scoured the forum and technical articles it looks like I may have to dismantle most of the components of each unit to remove the covers. Can somebody please confirm this to be the case or (ideally) tell me of a quick and easy way to remove the covers and replace them. Thanks. Paul.
Andy.S

Re: Jampot Covers

Post by Andy.S »

Looking at it i would say you need to strip them as you say to replace the covers see link below. http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Sus ... around.pdf
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

If you have the correct style jampots for 53 you will have the screw on type bottom nut with 4 holes under the chrome lower. You need to hold the leg and unscrew this nut with a special peg spanner or if it's never been off, angle grind it off to allow a cold chisel to be used to unscrew it. Then after it's off you pull the covers complete with spring, off the bottom and buy a new nut.
matchlessG9

Post by matchlessG9 »

Crikey! Talk about stubborn. The jampots I have are blessed with the screw-on retainers as suggested by ajscomboman. I bought a lovely and suprisingly strong peg spanner but to no avail. I tried a chain oil filter wrench. I've applied heat and penetrating oil but again those two nuts will not shift. I'm not sure that I trust myself with an angle grinder. Any other suggestions please?
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

For those occasions i have 36 inch stilsons and a length of scaffold tube !! Reheat the nut really hot then apply brute force. Sorry if that offends anyone .
clive

Post by clive »

Suspension works well but looks a bit scruffy? Leave it alone!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ChrisTheChippy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:07 pm For those occasions i have 36 inch stilsons and a length of scaffold tube !! Reheat the nut really hot then apply brute force. Sorry if that offends anyone .
Juss like that!
Very tight (592x514).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
matchlessG9

Post by matchlessG9 »

Ha. I could probably provide both the brute force and the ignorance but for now I shall probably go down the route suggested by Clive. There's no chrome on the lower shrouds but I dare say they will take a nice shiny coat of coach enamel black. (A PO had painted them silver). Thanks all. By the way the peg spanner I bought was branded Laser. It only cost £11 from ebay and it's still in one piece having had a considerable force applied to it.

Paul