USB Charger sockets

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy51

USB Charger sockets

Post by Andy51 »

Hi, thi is a question for modern and classic bike owners. I wish to fit a mobile phone USB charging socket on a lead to both my 18S and my RE Himalayan. The wiring is easy enough, and there are plenty of sockets on fleabay. My question is volts - a standard USB port puts out 5V, and I assume phones are optimised for this, but the car/bike sockets will presumably deliver 12V - none mention having a resistor to bring voltage down to 5V. Are these sockets safe for mobiles, and does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks, Andy
Reynard24

Re: USB Charger sockets

Post by Reynard24 »

You need to check the specification but I suspect the 12v relates to the input voltage, not the output, which should be 5v for a standard USB charger. Also unlikely to use resistors, more likely to use something like a 3-terminal regulator circuit to give a stabilized output that doesn’t fluctuate.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Hi Andy, Ive used something like this in the past with good results, although the one I had was neater, the handlebar clamp was under the plastic case.
The Griffin plug in adapter I've had for years, I even take it on holiday with me, along with the kitchen sink! just in case the hire car USB is not working. I think its rated at 2.1amp, but latest phones charge faster these days so maybe need to check that. Mine is an iphone 10 and it charges that fine.
Handlebar power adapter.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

In the past on my 6volt system I have just used a socket like shaunstaples and a plug into it charger with a couple of USB sockets. Currently using a combined unit with 2 built in USB sockets, separate charger socket in case a plug in light is needed and a volts at battery indicator.

Some Ebay site and it works fine.

JohnnyB
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I have used hardwired kits on the bike but not looked into one that would work with the 6V system of the Matchless but then again I use a bit of paper stuck to the tank when I ride that.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Jack,

You are spot on and I always have a paper route (in the transparent window on the tank top bag) and map. Much more reliable but sometimes not as easy to refer to.

I've had no difficulties with a 6v system but mostly use an old Windowsphone (Nokia) without a a SIM as a sat nav and with the maps on an SD card; it charges fine

Otherwise an up to date Android (but still a Nokia they're so robust) and again with the maps on an SD card. It does require a higher charge rate and will run down over a few of hours otherwise. In that case I use the "cigarette lighter" and a higher charge rate adapter.

This SD card approach avoids signal drop out just when you need it most, particularly on trips to the IJR. Sometimes, stopping to look at the paper route/map isn't feasible, like motorway/dual carriageway turn off or roundabout. The penalty for missing the turn can be many miles going in the wrong direction! This is compounded by my goldfish level of memory.

Johnny B
les ward

Post by les ward »

There is an article on this in next month's Jampot magazine.
Expat

Post by Expat »

I’ve used an old Garmin car sat nav mounted on the bars with a ball and socket adapter, powered it from the bikes 6v battery via a ciggie lighter socket connected to the battery pigtail used for a tender. Lots of excess wire to lose but it works.

Ooops, I didn’t read the thread properly, :oops: but the same set up would work to charge a phone using a usb adapter, wouldn’t it?
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Thanks, guys, I await the article with interest. Andy