54 Rocker Cover Stud - oversized

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
paul_nz

54 Rocker Cover Stud - oversized

Post by paul_nz »

I set about fitting the engine head steady/stay bracket, removed the two rocker cover bolts to fit the kit bolts with the thread above nut only to find that I have an oversized 3/8 BSW bolt that I assume has been fitted as the 7/16 thread has been stripped.

Question, can I use a helicoil insert to reduce the 3/8 BSW to 7/16 BSF, or do you have other suggestions.

Your help and suggestions most appreciated.

Paul
New Zealand
clive

Re: 54 Rocker Cover Stud - oversized

Post by clive »

Unlikely it will take a helicoil. Usual fix is a brass insert threaded on the outside fixed in place with a locktite and then drilled and threaded. Question is the existing "fix' working OK. If it us I would leVe it alone. The rockerbox may have been drilled out too to take the bigger size.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
paul_nz

Post by paul_nz »

I think that I need to go and buy a lottery ticket, as believe it or not it was an easy fix, used the helicoil and the tap cleaned up the thread, some locktite and helicoil insert and all is good.
clive

Post by clive »

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I have had them repaired like that and the next time I tightened down the head bolts the helicoil came out with the stud as I took the rockerbox cover off.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix