1956 AJS 16MS - Black Paint Specification

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
PhilAshton

1956 AJS 16MS - Black Paint Specification

Post by PhilAshton »

Hi.

I'm looking to respray my bike (see above). Does anyone know of the correct 'black' paint specification ... or can point me in the correct direction?

Many Thanks

Phil
jackstringer

Re: 1956 AJS 16MS - Black Paint Specification

Post by jackstringer »

Not a helpful answer but I suggest anything other than ocean gray or military gray as that is bound to create arguments.

Using the RAL guide you have a choice of Jet, Graphite and Traffic.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Due you intend to use a brush, spray gun or rattle cans?
It's said that AMC acquired the Sunbeam company in order to have access to their excellent black stove enamelling process. I've read that BMW black is the black'ist and deepest black.
My pal Resto Ray gets a great finish from paint-stripped bare parts using black from Craftmaster (as used on 'Flying Scotsman') for brushing.
Frame paint and brushes.JPG
2018-03-09 Frame panted studio shots 013.JPG
2018-03-09 Frame panted studio shots 016.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Steve

Post by Steve »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:26 am
My pal Resto Ray gets a great finish using black from Craftmaster (as used on 'Flying Scotsman') for brushing.
those look very nice Nev will definitely take a note on that paint and brushes :thumbup:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Steve wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:02 pm
SPRIDDLER wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:26 am
My pal Resto Ray gets a great finish from stripped back to metal parts using black from Craftmaster (as used on 'Flying Scotsman') for brushing.
those look very nice Nev will definitely take a note on that paint and brushes :thumbup:
The pics are from an article I put together on Resto Ray's behalf for one of the Jampot mags which I don't have now but here's an extract from my computer:

I accidentally spilt some petrol onto the front mudguard which I had brush painted with my Craftmaster coach paint and then varnished. It was there for 20 seconds or so before I wiped it off but seeing that there was no damage to the finish it convinced me to use the same black coach paint on the tank to achieve the deep lustre of the rest of the bike. The plan was to bring it up to the gloss top coat and then rubbed back. My sign writer friend could then line it out after which I could apply three coats of the Craftmaster varnish, which although not specifically fuel-proof has proved resistant provided that I wipe away any spilt fuel.
There had been a couple of small dents in the tank which I had leaded , (much better than filler), then applied one coat of etch primer, two coats of high build undercoat and two coats of gloss, all rubbed back between coats with progressively finer Scotchbrite pads which are ideal for curved surfaces, then finally three coats of varnish. I am pleased with the result and it seems to have hardened off well.

The incomplete bike as bought (the paintwork is rougher than it looks):
2017-11-14 Rays 1952 model 20 001 (640x480).jpg
And after:
Finished (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Steve

Post by Steve »

Cracking job