Oil filter on oil return

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Re: Oil filter on oil return

Post by MalcW »

dave16mct wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:48 pm Here's mine on the G11 I'm rebuilding:
Dave
Hi Dave

Just a thought, but might that be a bit at risk of impact damage down there, or will you fit some form of guard?

Malc
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Good point but I'm not going off road. Actually it isn't as low as it looks in that picture. I think if a rock hits it I'm already in trouble! :o
Dave
Anders Welle

Post by Anders Welle »

A couple comments: I installed a Norton filter under the seat of my AJS M31 around 1980 and have not had any issues. The felt filter is retained to protect the feed side. In addition to better filtering the big benefit of the external filter is in the use of a modern multigrade which results in a much cleaner motor as dirt particles are held in suspension and deposited in the filter instead of being circulated. Monograde oil is hard to get and needs a longer warmup, and do not contain the necessary additives.
This year I installed an antisump valve with ignition cutout in the feed line, which I can only recommend. It is available in 3/8 BSP size which matches our twins as well as 1/4 ", and the same unit can work with both mag and coil ignition. The microswitch used is of industrial grade so should be more reliable than the car door light switches I have seen from other suppliers. The manufacturer is Kingpin Components in UK.
Anders Welle
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Thanks for reply Anders, I'm still experimenting and the Monograde was just to compare against a modern multigrade. I was worrying that I would fit a filter and it would be running at or very close to its bypass pressure. My concern was I would have no way of knowing how much oil was actually going through the paper if the bypass was opening. I'm doing the experimenting before rebuilding my engine so fingers crossed It will be great after.
Ive also done a ignition cut to Magneto from the oil tap and its been perfect for me this year, not had to drain the sump once. I forget to turn it on sometimes and kick it over a couple of times before realising.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

MalcW wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:33 am Just a thought, but might that be a bit at risk of impact damage down there, or will you fit some form of guard?
This is the location that the previous owner of my G12 fitted a filter, over 30,000 miles later it has not been a problem, however like Dave I do not
(intentionally) go off roading on it.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Ive made a crude elbow to turn the carb 90deg so I can get an air filter on, this left a space on the R/H side. Early days yet, I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea and its not grown on me yet either! Ive only been out on it once and couldn't tell a lot of difference after moving carb.
Filter1.jpg
Filter2.jpg
Filter3.jpg
Filter4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Ive not altered anything on frame or engine so it all can be reversed easily
Filter5.jpg
Filter6.jpg
Filter7.jpg
Filter8.jpg
I think I saw a nut as though the return pipe connects onto the tank under where the felt filter will be. If so then I'll neaten up the filter to tank pipe. Its goes the long way round to stop it kinking at present. I'm trying to keep as much room free under the seat if possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Nice job shaun. At least you will have peace of mind knowing clean properly filtered oil is circulating round the engine. Fitting a filter is my next job on the bike I'm still riding it when I can atm so it will be during the winter lay up time . Always interesting and encouraging when seeing someone else overcoming any problems etc before attempting the job. Also going to get the distributor overhauled but that's another story.
Anders Welle

Post by Anders Welle »

Here are my filter and Oil tap arrangement.
Anders Welle
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Thanks Chris, Not really sure on effect of moving carb yet Ive been out on it once and tanks leaking now so don't know if I'll be able to get out before starting engine rebuild would like to.

Neat job Anders, I see you had to reduce the pipes with inline adapters. The banjo fittings at the back of the filter the inlet is 12mm and the outlet is 10mm both with 16mm banjo bolts. I still had to step back up to 1/2" as I missed the sleeve soldered over the tank pipe. I will look at changing to a banjo under tank so that I can get rid of the long bend back to tank. I think Ive seen the Norton filter head with 1/2" pipes now too. Another thing was I went for M20 x 1.5 thread on filter as there seems to be a wider choice of filter. Your oil tap looks a good one, Mine is another "one off " I did a mechanical one that earths the mag via a brass plunger onto the points screw. I use it to kill the engine, never forget to turn it off or on. Really does need to be fool proof for me!
You have the benefit of a lot more room than I have with the slimmer tank and to be able to fit a decent air filter.