1949 front wheel spacer?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
jerry

1949 front wheel spacer?

Post by jerry »

I have a 1949 WD G3L. The front wheel opposite side to brake looks like it should have a felt grease seal inside the bearing lock nut with a pressed steel dust cap over it. Am I right? Then it looks as if there should be a spacer between this and the fork leg, or is the spindle just held in place by the clamps? Thanks. I'll be at Sheraton Mallet tomorrow looking for bit hopefully. Thanks.
Steve

Re: 1949 front wheel spacer?

Post by Steve »

I'm saying nothing about you going to Sheraton Mallet looking for a bit :rofl:
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Looking for antique chair parts?
Dave
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

jerry wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:50 pm I have a 1949 WD G3L. The front wheel opposite side to brake looks like it should have a felt grease seal inside the bearing lock nut with a pressed steel dust cap over it. Am I right?
Ignore those insensitive chaps, Jerry, when it comes to furniture they haven't got a leg to stand on.

;) ;)

Does the illustration and explanation on page 123 in the Workshop Manual help?
It's here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

jerry wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:50 pm I have a 1949 WD G3L. The front wheel opposite side to brake looks like it should have a felt grease seal inside the bearing lock nut with a pressed steel dust cap over it. Am I right? Then it looks as if there should be a spacer between this and the fork leg, or is the spindle just held in place by the clamps? Thanks. I'll be at Sheraton Mallet tomorrow looking for bit hopefully. Thanks.
I will keep an eye out at the Shepton Mallet VMCC Autojumble (Bath and West) tomorrow for Matchless/AJS spares. I will be there trying not to buy any more motorcycles.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Jerry, there is no spacer on that side as the axle is pulled to the brake side by the nut on that side of the axle.

Do you have a parts list, this is a general one https://www.jampot.com/archives%5CAJS%2 ... Manual.pdf but there are lots of others in the club archive.
jerry

Post by jerry »

Many thanks, all; that's excellent information and very useful diagrams. I've obviously been looking in the wrong place!

If I find any chair legs at Shepton today, hopefully they'll be part of a chair: I'll be needing a sit down😂.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I almost bought a BSA twin. Other than an AJS for sale there wasn't much to be had. Did see a few engines about for the AJS/Matchless. No sign of the living Legend of Henry-C-S even though they were meant to be filming there today.
jerry

Post by jerry »

Well I didn't see any chair legs. Got one or two small bits including advance/retard lever🙂 but not so much older stuff there, I thought.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

There us plenty of 80 and 90s bits there.

But I did like this, sadly wouldn't sell it to me.
20231104_113729.jpg

Btw did you see Henry?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.