Tank cleaning

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Dan17

Tank cleaning

Post by Dan17 »

Hi do you clean a petrol tank?

I tried the vinegar and old buts method for a tank that had been empty for 25 years, it worked and I got the bike started but then I left a small amount of fuel (E5) in there for 2-3 months and now it's looking worse than before.

Does anyone have a method to clean it up well and then treat somehow for a bike that may only be used occasionally?
MalcW

Re: Tank cleaning

Post by MalcW »

Dan17 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:51 pm Hi do you clean a petrol tank?

I tried the vinegar and old buts method for a tank that had been empty for 25 years, it worked and I got the bike started but then I left a small amount of fuel (E5) in there for 2-3 months and now it's looking worse than before.

Does anyone have a method to clean it up well and then treat somehow for a bike that may only be used occasionally?
I would be tempted to do what you've already done, but either drain the tank between uses, or fill it to the brim and seal the filler cap as best as possible. As you'll know, it's the absorbed moisture that's the problem.

Malc
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

What is it, rust?

Many methods and instructions by using commercial (eg. Fertan) and home products (e.g. Cola, vinegar and baking soda) if you do a Google search. Have a browse here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=petro ... nt=gws-wiz
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Soda crystals and battery charger then line with Slosh
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

E5 and E10 fuel is hydroscopic so it loves to take on water that collects in the tank.

Options are, to send the tank to https://www.biketankrepair.co.uk/
or use come fuel take rust treatment stuff. Cleaning the rust off with vinegar and nuts is ok, but you must seal up the metal. The old Petseal doesn't like the E10 fuel but they do newer varieties to seal tanks now.

I have some https://www.evapo-rust.com/ in the shed and it has been very handy for cleaning up the odd tool to two, just leave it in a tub for a few days (weeks) and then clean and use. I suspect it would be quite good at converting rust to metal in the tank before lining. Best bit its reusable so not wasted until it dead kind of stuff.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

spookefoote1956 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:12 pm Soda crystals and battery charger then line with Slosh
Tri-Sodium Phosphate - Na3PO4 as an electrolyte has the advantage of leaving a phosphoric coating on the metal as the iron oxide is removed :-)
Sam
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Like red wine and teeth? ;)
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Dan17

Post by Dan17 »

Thanks for all the replies. I'm on my second vinegar soak after which I plan to coat with wd40.

I did also read about mixing a small amount of castor oil with the petrol when I fill up, anyone tried this?
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

A Teaspoon of Castor oil in a full tank will give you the cazzy R aroma. After all that's where Castrol got their name from.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Taid

Post by Taid »

Autumn 1948, Prescott Hill .. where I first became aware of, what I learned was, the smell of Castrol R ..

It never leaves you
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987