Got one at last! Tips needed!

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Got one at last! Tips needed!

Post by G3L1946 »

Afternoon all,
After many months of searching I have, at last, got my hands on a very nice 1947/G3L. It’s not show room but in a very nice, clean condition.
Engine and frame numbers check out as original as does registration number.
I just have a few questions ( more to follow, no doubt ). Engine oil…I’m sticking with Silkolene classic 50 as in my ‘55. However, suggestions for gearbox oil please?
Plugs, NGK B7ES or 8ES? Better option?

I really need the ‘top tip’ for getting the bike onto the rear stand! Nearly had a hernia this morning and had to summon reluctant wife to give a hand! I’m sure there is an easier way of doing it!

I’ll post a photo or two when I get time, I’m really pleased with it.

Cheers for now,

Steve
g80csp11

Re: Got one at last! Tips needed!

Post by g80csp11 »

if its iron head LODGE H14: ; Champion · L82C ; NGK · B7HS
Id go with L82C , works well on my 46
Its a short reach plug , dont use B&ES
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

Thanks re plug info. Re gearbox oil/ grease would SPHEEROL L/EPO by Castrol be suitable?

Cheers,

Steve
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

1947 CP box takes semi-fluid grease rather than oil, it doesn’t have proper oil seals so if you put oil in it will just leak out.

Bike shouldnt be too hard to get onto the stand, suggests you are lifting too much and not pulling backwards enough. Make sure you are standing well towards the back of the bike, dont be timid and stand too far forward.

Where are you putting your hands? From memory I put my rear hand on the rack (or under the lip of the mudguard if you dont have a rack), and my other hand under the rear corner of the saddle. Hold the stand on the ground with your rear foot then roll the bike backwards pulling both back and up. Shouldn’t be that hard if you can get inertia working for you
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. I did a bit more research and, confirming what you have said, the grease ( not oil ) to be used is Spheerol L/EPO. I confirmed this with Castrol and quoted the original lubrication to be used back in 1947.
I have managed to master the rear stand! Pretty much as you have quoted. I position myself directly behind the bike and use the grab/ pull handle ( incorporated in 1947 ) and pull smartly backwards whilst holding the stand on the ground with my foot.
My hesitation to do this, initially, was I could not have done this if the bike weighed the same as my 1955 model. I would have dropped it for sure!

Thanks again,

Steve