Carb mystery

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Beefheart

Carb mystery

Post by Beefheart »

Last year I replaced the original leaky carb on my 53 G9 pilot 25 needle 106 main 220 3.5 cutaway. After minor tuning it ran a lot better plugs dark chocolate lovely slow even tickover and 'seemed' livelier started with minimal throttle. Then recently she would not start without half throttle then ran horribly rich eight stroking etc. Put the old carb back on to check it was nothing more sinister engine wise no problems back to pre monobloc running. Stripped monobloc float checked blown through put back on bike no change, one thing I did notice that tickling pre cold fuel came from the primary air passage at bell mouth not the tickler.
Ps gave the old carb new washers etc doesn't leak just weeps, don't want to over tighten things!
Colin
robcurrie

Re: Carb mystery

Post by robcurrie »

Did you fit the spacer on the end of the float shaft?

Rob C
clive

Post by clive »

Not been left standing for a while with the fuel turned has it? E10 fuel evaporating off can leave a sticky deposit. That won't clear by being blown through it needs carb cleaner and possibly pulling all the jets out and flushing them through.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Monobloc float chamber b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Taid

Post by Taid »

Not familiar with actual construction, but could it not be that the normal overflow route via the tickler is blocked?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Beefheart

Post by Beefheart »

Thanks for your replies the brass collar is in place and it had been used regularly prior I use E5. However I will strip it again and squirt carb cleaner through everything as you suggest Clive (should have thought of that in the first place!)
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Don't forget to check the float height-easy to do with a clear tube after removing the slow running jet cover.