G3 gearbox grease?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
tom morton

G3 gearbox grease?

Post by tom morton »

Does anyone know what a good substitute is for the recommended C.600 grease originally used in Matchless G3 gearboxes and as a cable lubricant?
GSAX1

G3 gearbox grease?

Post by GSAX1 »

I'm not sure that the G3 box should have grease in it, however a good general use gearbox grease is Shell Retinax G. It is intended for boat propeller housing gearboxes, and I used it succesfully in my pre-war DKW gearbox some years ago. Retinax G was specified for the DKW, as it's gearbox had no seals. It is semi-fluid to ensure lubrication of the upper gears and bearings but not fluid enough to leak out.

Michael
Eric

G3 gearbox grease?

Post by Eric »

You dont say if your G3 has a Burman or AMC gear box. I use something like an EP 80 or 90 gearbox oil in an AMC box. Dont believe anyone who may tell you this will destroy the Phosphor Bronze bearings, it may have been true once upon a time but the oil technicians have corrected that problem by now, thats if it ever existed.
Biscuit
Deceased

G3 gearbox grease?

Post by Biscuit »

Surprised at Tom not giving the year of his bike.

itma

G3 gearbox grease?

Post by itma »

Believe me Eric the phospher bronze problem is only too true; Thats why I spent a summer back in 1970 or thereabouts changing the Met Police fleet of Triumph gearboxes from bushes to needle rollers; pretty sick of the smell of EP90 by the end .

As for oil companies technicians worring about the effect of their oils on obselete machinery I`m too cynical for that and stick to medium grease with a drop of 50 and a dose of graphite powder.
It may not be at the cutting edge of lubrication technology but neither of my grease boxes have been in bits since they were put together 3 decades ago.

tom morton

G3 gearbox grease?

Post by tom morton »

[quote]
Does anyone know what a good substitute is for the recommended C.600 grease originally used in Matchless G3 gearboxes and as a cable lubricant?

Sorry didn’t include the age of the bike. It is an ex WD 1940 G3 fitted with a Burman gearbox. According to the lubrication chart the gearbox is lubricated with approximately eight ounces of grease, and it goes onto say "under no circumstances should heavy grease be used" the chart recommends C. 600 where as all other greasing points, including the magneto chain, are recommended to be lubricated with plain Grease. So my guess is C. 600 is a lighter form of standard bearing grease but heaver than gear oil.
paul knapp

G3 gearbox grease?

Post by paul knapp »

Try Castrol! I use Castrol SL (self levelling) grease in my Burman grease box with no problems to date, ...any excess bleeds out onto the sprocket and keeps the chain greased!.....and the back wheel.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Samuel

G3 gearbox grease?

Post by Samuel »

Its called Castrol Spheerol semi fluid self leveling grease - available via VMCC shop if you are a member or direct from Castrol on 01954 231668 or sales@classicoils.co.ukEdited by - Samuel on 02 Apr 2007 3:08:47 PM
Sam
tom morton

G3 gearbox grease?

Post by tom morton »

Samuel, and all the others that have taken the trouble to help with this, thank you to you all, its great to have this sort of knowledge and help to hand.
crawsue

G3 gearbox grease?

Post by crawsue »

I was interested in these postings and wondered if anyone had tried to cut down on shaft leaks on AMC boxes by adding grease to the recommended SAE50? I know that having the casing machined to fit seals is a fix,until Biscuit(?) pointed out that wear on the shafts would probably negate any benefit.It's just one small irritation with my G80,as it drips onto the hot exhaust pipe and "bakes"....proprietory oven cleaner removes it OK,but the fix doesn't last too longOne last point,opened the toolbox/battery cover for the first time this "summer"and leaking electrolite has damaged the internal paintwork,any tips on avoiding this
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?