Side Stand

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
altette

Side Stand

Post by altette »

Hello All,

While recommisioning my rather nice 1954 G3LS I decided to see if I could repalce a very poor, pattern side stand - with the help of Ebay I struck Gold and managed to find a new old stock item !! - (still sporting most of its AMC stove enamelling)....

This stand however features a rather odd spring attachment bracket - please see pictures - the upper piece of this bracket will actually prevent it folding up neatly along the frame tube, in fact it will hit the footrest post and prevent full retraction....

Does anyone know what purpose this is supposed to serve - I notice on one of my other bikes you can see where it has been hacksawed off...I am loath to take a hacksaw to this New Old Stock item but to use it I would have to - or perhaps bend it out of the way...

Any advice appreciated

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Re: Side Stand

Post by Duncan »

I usually place a piece of rubber pipe on the tang so the stand doesn't clunk when retracting, I think without it the stand would go too far back rendering it awkward to locate especially if you have twin pipes, and the spring could possibly be trapped between the its lug and the frame with repeated knocks leading to failure of the hook.
altette

Post by altette »

Thanks for that - it did occur to me that it might provide an opportunity for a buffer, but although undeniably making it easier to locate, the angle is a bit too extreme with the tang as it is . . . (Over-the years I have become accustomed to tricky stand deployment, the inevitable covering of oil only increasing the fun !!)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I modified mine by adding a tang. When viewed from above it doesn't stick out from under the back brake lever as much as it would appear to in the photo so doesn't catch on anything. (I put a raised piece of wood under it to make it clearer for the photo).
Prop stand 2016-04-20 002 (480x360).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Mine has a tang on the foot, but it's a twin, and the tang isn't long enough to reach beyond the LH pipe. A small piece of fuel pipe jammed over the tang has done excellent service for about a year now.

Malc