Oil filtration

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ChrisTheChippy

Oil filtration

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi all .
I am thinking of fitting a car type cartridge filter to my ajs 650 . Mainly with the thought that it will preserve engine life to have clean oil flowing through all the time.
We all know that modern and even older cars are quite capable of high milages without the need for engine rebuilds. This is mainly because of good oil and air filtration systems .
So with that in mind has anyone got any feedback after having fitted one ?
My main concern is can the standard oil pump create enough pressure to push oil through this type of filter? Would it need to be uprated in some way?
I was thinking of fitting it in the gap under the seat as that seems the logical place for it to go.
Can it be used with standard filter in place or does it need to be modified or removed?
Sorry its a lot of questions.
I'm also definitely going to improve air filtration but that's for discussion another time.
MalcW

Re: Oil filtration

Post by MalcW »

My 650 came with a cartridge filter bolted to the trim panel between the oil filter and toolbox, plumbed into the return side. It appeared to work but looked horrible. I refitted it under the seat, as you are thinking of doing. It's done almost 9000 miles with me so far, and all OK so far.

Malc
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Several threads on external oil filters.
E.g. have a look at this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=26992&hilit=oil+filter+twin

EDIT:
Malcolm Saggers' article here on 'under the seat' external filter............

https://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=427
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Groily

Post by Groily »

I think the scavenge pump can cope, as Malc says.

I wondered when I read your post Chris whether you were going for a pressure/supply side mod, of which I think a few were done - the very sadly late Mr Saggers being the pioneer re the necessary plumbing and machining maybe? (On whose designs and devices I think there are threads here somewhere, but can't pinpoint one this minute.)

Our twins are unique in having a supply side filter built in, even if it wasn't to modern standards and can create, er, other problems! But I think it nevertheless has something to do with the longevity of the twin engines. The also (so sadly) late 'Biscuit' (Alan Jacobs, twin person extraordinaire) reckoned on 60K miles from a decently-assembled twin before serious attention would be needed, which is pretty good by the standards of the day.

Haven't got return line filters on either of my twins of the marque, bar the thing in the oil tank on my earlier one, but there is a 2CV Citroën one on my 650 Dommie. It keeps the oil a bit cleaner, defo, but lack of air filtration (your other target) in all my own cases must take its toll. I just do religious observance oil changes at 1000 mile max, with filter cleans every time on the AMCs.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

The benefits for me would be the finer paper filter and the use of a good multi grade that carries the waste to the filter.
When I first thought and read about it, the best way would be on the pressure circuit before the crank is fed? But then after the engine has been rebuilt and all nice and clean everywhere, why not fit a paper filter on return and leave felt for any large stuff?
After all, all the oil has to go back via return so oil quality would be kept better and any mishaps entering through filling would be caught before reaching crank?
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I have wondered if it would be just easier to have a setup where you could filter the oil in the shed. So you to return from a trip, drain the oil and then clean it and put it back into the bike. At least you could then put it though a centrifugal filter and a nice cartridge filter.

I'm not too worried about mine as it runs the same system as my landrover. A total loss oil system, never have to drain the oil, just top it up every few weeks.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

I was thinking exactly the same, sort of dialysis for bikes!
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks for the replies. I like to study things a bit before I make any changes to any sort of machinery after all if its not broken why fix it .
However it would seem that there could be real benefits to making this mod . My oil filter would be fitted on the return line . My question re the existing filter has also been answered. I will simply leave it in place .
Like the idea of bike dialysis for bikes . That might be the answer for the future if all oil could go through a cleaning process and be recycled back to the vehicle that would eliminate oil wastage and cut down on pollution. Don't think the oil companies would like the idea of oil that could be used indefinitely. Business opportunity for some bright young thing ? It's going to be 20 years before our sort of vehicles are totally outlawed so a bit of milage in it?
The other thing is air filtration hopefully that won't be too hard to sort out. Lots of different air filters on the market that can be adapted.
I'm going to take a look at the links I've been sent and do a little more research but I think I'm set on this idea now. I don't want to take the bike off the road while we have some decent riding time left so this will be a winter mod. I've just got the bike running well after recent electrical problems.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

I used to look after 4 scania trucks that had centrifugal oil filtee as the main filter and a screw on filter on the feed to the turbo. The centrifugal filter was very effective, we ran them at six week between oil changes and there was a band of carbon about 1/8” around the inside of the canister that had to be scraped out each service.
I thought of making one to sit on the oil filler cap, that drew oil up a pipe in the centre of a big pipe fixed in an old cap then oil could return through the big pipe around the feed tube.
Could put it on after a ride out, not sure you’d get much but would be interesting to see.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Yes would be interested to see if that would work shaun . I am going to be awfully polite here and let you try it on your bike before mine.
Just read the other recommended threads re oil filtration and a lot of food for thought in there.
I noticed that Paul goff does a complete oil filter kit for spin on oil filters . Worth a look.