alternator spacer?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
dabs

alternator spacer?

Post by dabs »

Can anyone tell me if the Alternator rotor is supposed to be tight or just foating on its woodruff key??.
I have a AJS 16MS 58, with alternator, and just replaced the woodruff key due to exccesive wear, but the locking nuts will not tighten the rotor on the crankshaft ?.
sould it need shimming /.
Also is there a clutch cover gasket?, as i have two parts books and one shows a gasket??.
Thanks in advance.
A Kick is the best start in life.
bjork

alternator spacer?

Post by bjork »

The rotor should be firmly clamped by the nut. I don't have a parts book for your bike to refer to, but every alternator model I have worked on has a spacer that goes behind the rotor and also forms part of the oil seal arrangement from crankcase to chain case. If it's left floating about you are likely to get further trouble I think!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
bjork

alternator spacer?

Post by bjork »

forgot to say about the gasket, re-seal it with slicone is the easiest option. Even if it had a gasket originally, this is likely to be more successful.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
itma

alternator spacer?

Post by itma »

If there is any movement here on the rotor and I`m assuming in a rotary movement, as you have mentioned the woodruff key; then you have to replace the whole rotor. Any movement here will end in you having to replace the shaft as well, thats if its not already knackered. That keyway must have no wear in it at all.
There are solutions involving some clever engineering and mods , thats if you have the kit to do it.
dabs

alternator spacer?

Post by dabs »

I checked all the parts are there but unable to properly secure the rotor, not on tapered shaft?,
So shimmed the rotos a few thou to get a proper torque on it.

Engine now runs sweeter,.

Now whats next on my list .
A Kick is the best start in life.
itma

alternator spacer?

Post by itma »

make sure that the rotor body does not move on the steel insert; this is a common fault, and no amount of shims will cure it. You wil only store up problems for later
Shaft is not tapered.