Polishing aluminum timing cover

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy G

Re: Polishing aluminum timing cover

Post by Andy G »

If you like this sort of trivia then you'll enjoy knowing that superglue was originally invented by accident while trying to create clear plastic weapon sights during WWII, but was later famously redeployed as a battlefield alternative to stitching wounds by US medics during the Vietnam war. It's still very much in use for the same purpose today, and if you've ever welded your fingers together with the stuff, you'll understand why!
You're welcome.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Great stuff. Keep it coming!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Andy G wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:57 pm ..... superglue was originally invented by accident while trying to create clear plastic weapon sights during WWII, but was later famously redeployed as a battlefield alternative to stitching wounds by US medics during the Vietnam war.
1999 to 2002 I worked at Falmouth dockyard and one of the fishermen told me that after the crabs were cleaned of meat the shells were sold to the pharmaceutical industry which extracted a substance for the production of bio-film, flesh adhesive and sutures. I looked it up later.......

[Measuring just 50 microns thick, the film is placed on a surgical wound and exposed to an infrared laser, which heats the film just enough to meld it and the tissue, thus perfectly sealing the wound.
Known as Surgilux, the device's raw material is extracted from crab shells.]

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 101736.htm
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

That story sounds a bit fishy spids.......