Petrol tank caps

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
mdt-son

Petrol tank caps

Post by mdt-son »

I have just received a painted petrol tank, it's on the heavy side and I think it's of Indian origin (i.e., a repro). The buttons at the rear are larger than those at OEM tanks. Filler opening has a diameter of 58mm (2-9/32") and neck has a hinge bracket at the rear (see enclosed picture). There are no hooks for the filler cap lock to interact with, just a ridge of approx 47 mm opening diameter further down the neck. I don't understand how a bajonet type of cap lock can interact with a closed ridge at the filler neck.

Will filler cap 033001 fit this tank? If not, what kind of cap will fit? There is a type providing 3 fingers moving outwards which may suit this type of neck. See images below.
What is the difference between 033001 and p/n 900525, fitting 1953-63 models according to AMOC Parts?

- Knut

20230808_185242.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mdt-son on Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive

Re: Petrol tank caps

Post by clive »

Knut assuming the hole is the correct diameter for the cap then the one you have illustrated us the one you need. The ridge around the bottom of the hole is to help stop the fuel slopping back under acceleration or braking when full.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Clive,
thanks for your input. I thought the ridge was to provide a restraint for a finger type lock. However, depicted lock is too large for the ridge opening. If the ridge is NOT intended as a restraint, the cap holds down by friction between neck and fingers only. Correct? Neck is plain and circular, there are no tracks.
How can this kind of lock be considered safe?

Does anyone have a tank cap of this type and may share their experience?

- Knut
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

mdt-son wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:36 pm Clive,
thanks for your input. I thought the ridge was to provide a restraint for a finger type lock. However, depicted lock is too large for the ridge opening. If the ridge is NOT intended as a restraint, the cap holds down by friction between neck and fingers only. Correct? Neck is plain and circular, there are no tracks.
How can this kind of lock be considered safe?

Does anyone have a tank cap of this type and may share their experience?

- Knut
The design looks the same as the WD pie crust cap that has a dimple in the filler neck to register on of the expanding claws, see this ebay item: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234917280862 ... R6L6_-e6Yg
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Hi Duncan, dimples in the filler neck to register on expanding claws would have made sense, but there are none unfortunately. I will make an enquiry with one of the tank cap distributors.

- Knut
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Original tank, Indian cap.
IMG_20230808_203246.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Original tanks, Enots caps.
IMG_20230808_203402.jpg
IMG_20230808_203534.jpg
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Indian tanks, Indian cap
IMG_20230808_203132.jpg
IMG_20230808_204008.jpg
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

The expanding type caps never feel like they are pulling down that much... But they don't leak (I don't brim them full) and they have never come undone.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

mdt-son wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:23 pm Hi Duncan, dimples in the filler neck to register on expanding claws would have made sense, but there are none unfortunately. I will make an enquiry with one of the tank cap distributors.

- Knut
The hinge will resist the rotation of the cap so the dimple (just one) is unnecessary.