Twin cylinder dynamo oil leak

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
willowbedone

Twin cylinder dynamo oil leak

Post by willowbedone »

Has anyone tried to use a rubber o ring or rubber washer instead of the cork seal ? Does it or would this work
Reynard24

Re: Twin cylinder dynamo oil leak

Post by Reynard24 »

I have used an “O” ring in the past but the drawstud hampers installation and you will need to trim/notch the the ring to get a good seal.
I’ve just refitted the dynamo on my twin with the club cork gasket. I used silicon sealant and allowed it to skin over and almost cure before fitting the dynamo and then a sash cramp to hold it hard against the timing case overnight and then fully tightening the nut and clamp. No leaks after a month of use, so fingers crossed.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

mine had an or ring in but leaked so i got the cork gasket ring from amoc club spares and used that .
i put some welseal on the cork etc and when i assembled it all i left it for a day to "cure" , worked ok for me .
regards
ian
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

I tried in vain to seal the dynamo on my twin following the advice on this forum, using the methods mentioned in this post with a cork seal and silicon.
(The crankcase joint under the dynamo is not the source of the oil). In desperation I used a caulking gun to force silicon into the space between the crankcase and the front of the dynamo filling it completely. It has worked quite well and stopped the main source of the leak- my right boot is no longer covered in oil. But it has now developed a slight leak at the joint between the front cap and body of the dynamo. Oil must be being forced passed the oil seal on the dynamo shaft (it's a new seal). It's a pretty minor leak I will have to live with- I've run out of ideas.

Post by 1608 »

Working on the principle that cork will expand when moist, damp or wet ( bottle corks, petrol taps etc.) I soaked the cork gasket in oil before fitting on my G12 years ago and reused it at least once and never had any leaks. The softened gasket compresses when fitted. I believe using welseal or any other agent defeats the object of using cork.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Trefor wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:08 am I tried in vain to seal the dynamo on my twin following the advice on this forum, using the methods mentioned in this post with a cork seal and silicon.
(The crankcase joint under the dynamo is not the source of the oil). In desperation I used a caulking gun to force silicon into the space between the crankcase and the front of the dynamo filling it completely. It has worked quite well and stopped the main source of the leak- my right boot is no longer covered in oil. But it has now developed a slight leak at the joint between the front cap and body of the dynamo. Oil must be being forced passed the oil seal on the dynamo shaft (it's a new seal). It's a pretty minor leak I will have to live with- I've run out of ideas.
Is its possible that your leak could be from the oil filter tunnel gasket between the crankcases?