Odd noises

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
dave16mct

Re: Odd noises

Post by dave16mct »

It might be due to mushy shock absorber rubbers in the clutch. Over time they disintegrate and turn to mush.
Dave.
Groily

Post by Groily »

trem1964 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:30 pm Fitted a new club supplied (super quick delivery) head gasket and hay presto its sorted, although on a ride out tonight theirs a knocking under load, and thinking it may be in the chain case side.
That's good news, and as you say, super quick. But do check tighten, it will need it!
If the knock isn't the clutch rubbers having turned to black soup as they do (yuk), check the alternator rotor is on tight too while you're in there . . .
trem1964

Post by trem1964 »

Hi, many thanks for the pointers, did have a very quick look this afternoon but looks like the foot rest needs to come off to remove the case ?

regards martin
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

trem1964 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:39 pm Hi, many thanks for the pointers, did have a very quick look this afternoon but looks like the foot rest needs to come off to remove the case ?

regards martin
See bottom of page 22 in the Workshop Manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... .NEILL.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
trem1964

Post by trem1964 »

Many thanks SPRIDDLER, will go and take look now

regards Martin
trem1964

Post by trem1964 »

Well heres a update on my continuing saga.
I have a tapping noise that starts only when under acceleration, on start up and tick over its fine, and even ticking over and reving its fine, under light throttle its fine, then 1/2 mile down the road it starts tapping, and is sort of intermitant , but then stays tapping until I get home. I have replaced both head gaskets, changed oil pump, cleaned oil ways and filter, even ran it down the road without the filter in and no difference. Checked primary case chin and thats fine.
What am I missing ? could the valves be faulty ? they looked seated when I had the head off, Im getting fed up but need to resolve
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Use a kitchen roll tub and see if you can pinpoint the area that is making the noise.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Did you check valve/tappet clearance after replacing head gasket and torque down ? The gaps will have altered.
trem1964

Post by trem1964 »

Well i think i have solved the mystery, when i took the heads off again today to aneal the head gaskets and fit, but the tip of the pushrod was still in the head, managed to get it out but it seems to loosen on the rod. Must be the problem of the tapping , have ordered new pushrods and will fit next weekend. Has anyone else had this problem before ?