Putting it back together 52 G9

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Bill

Putting it back together 52 G9

Post by Bill »

Hello,
So my G9 was in pieces for a major clean up. Probably a couple of pounds of crud scraped off, but it's reasonably clean now due to the accumulation of oil and grease keeping rust away. So a couple of questions: Is it easier to install the center stand before the gearbox goes in, or after? I realize the spring latches to the engine plate. Next, how does one reinstall the engine with out the frame popping apart where the bolt goes through the frame and engine? All that held together with a 5/16" bolt! Has anyone opened things up to install a 3/8" stud? Just curious. I was hoping to really get it clean without pulling it apart, but this bike is new to me and I get curious how things are built. No big deal really.
dave16mct

Re: Putting it back together 52 G9

Post by dave16mct »

Yes, fit centre stand first, then gearbox. You'll have lots of fun putting the engine in. I find this scissor lift's very handy under the frame, but I've all sorts of rope, bits of wood etc and still get into all sorts of tangles! I use some pointed rod instead of the stud to get the engine in, then replace it with the stud once everything's lined up. The 5/16" stud was increased to 3/8" for 1954.

Dave.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks! OK, time to move forward. The pointed rod is a good idea. I might look around and see if I have a 3/8" stud that will fit. The bike is up on a work stand. With the front wheel clamped in place, I was thinking of a couple of ratchet straps to hold it together as the engine goes in place. We'll see!
Bill

Post by Bill »

I put the engine back in today with the wife's assist. Went in pretty easy, better that I expected.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Well done..
(for persuading your wife to assist)
😉
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Taid

Post by Taid »

She probably wanted to get it off the coffee table ...
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Bill

Post by Bill »

She's happy to help in the shop, having helped install a ton of Norton engines, she knows the routine pretty well. I just tell her which stud goes where, straddle the bike, lift in the engine, and she puts them in with me wiggling the lump around as needed.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Ooer Missus!
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Bill

Post by Bill »

Mostly back together, minus the bodywork. Front wheel off to service the bearings, install new brakes. The brake hub with the new shoes won't fit into the drum. Guess I'll have to skim the shoes a bit.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Do you ever put something together so easily that you have to sit down for a moment with your beverage of choice (Tea) and try and think what you have forgotten because you know after doing everything up etc you will suddenly realise it all got to come apart because you forgot a spacer or something similar?