Fixed short foot pegs 1961 G80cs

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
clayton808

Fixed short foot pegs 1961 G80cs

Post by clayton808 »

My first time here I have many questions and my first Matchless

1: for me the foot pegs are to short and the turned up end is not comfortable has anyone changed out to some thing longer
and does the engine need to be removed ? ..... it is an odd set up . I have been riding a BSA Victor Special for years and parts are every place

My Matchless is not a rider yet still much to do
cheers
clayton
Joker_Bones

Re: Fixed short foot pegs 1961 G80cs

Post by Joker_Bones »

Yes... You can swap to different foot pegs.
There are a few diffent types.
What works can be affected by a few factors.
Comp model pegs generally sit over the lug on the frame rail and can be difficult to remove with the engine insitu, I managed to get mine off but have seen it said that it's not always possible. Road model pegs fit to the outside of the lug and require the square section through stud to stop them rotating.
Is the exhaust over or under the foot pegs, some combinations don't work. A high level exhaust removes that issue.
I've found it to be a case of try it and see.
I can post some photos later of different types if you are interested?
jimh

Post by jimh »

Hi I have a 1955 G3LCS and like you was not happy with the short footrests, not sure what the different dimensions are to the later CS models but I got some 20mm square section steel tubing and fitted it over the footrest, drilled and tapped the end of the footrest, filed a washer down to the size of the tube and loctited a small screw to hold it, you then have a choice of footrest rubbers to fit.
My internal square section rubbers are about 900mm/3 1/2" long and have been on the bike for number of years with no problem at all.
clayton808

Post by clayton808 »

Hey Thank you
my exhaust is over the foot peg.any photo would help I understand try and see a grinder would help
cheers
clayton

Yes square tubing sure why not
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I think these are the comp pegs you are thinking of replacing
IMG_20220816_110536.jpg
I replaced them with these standard road model pegs
20200809_102635~2.jpg
The exhaust is an Armours replacement. Conventional wisdom and the Armours website says comp pegs are needed for the over the peg exhaust... But these worked okay, looks like I may have fitted a spacer to bring them out a little.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

IMG_20220405_155724~2.jpg
These are folding type pegs off a 15CS again with an over the peg exhaust
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

IMG_20230719_223321.jpg
I acquired these recently.... I don't know if they are originals or home made, they bolt to usual lug and the centre stand lug.
clayton808

Post by clayton808 »

Thank you for the photos they do help a lot ..... yes the fold up one looks home made that fine I am not building a show bike
the straight bold on with the spacer were did you find those.
cheers
clayton
jimh

Post by jimh »

Can see the spacer to bring the footrest out, presumably just enough to clear the exhaust pipe, I'm assuming you had to make a spacers on the inside of the frame rail between the frame and engine plate as the CS pegs sit over the frame, did you have to modify the engine plates to take the square section rod for the road model footrests.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

They do look a bit agricultural but the fold up pegs are not home made, they are from an N15CS.
Most CS models went to the US, probably easier to get second hand CS parts there than it is here.
I tried to think where the road model pegs came from but I don't remember. It will have been ebay or a jumble. There are usually standard road model pegs available on ebay UK, I don't know for ebay US.

I had a look to see what I had done... And yes there is a spacer to bring the peg out a little and some spacers on the inside of the lug, looks like I used some alloy tube.
IMG_20230722_152139.jpg
I can remember making the stud from a length of square bar but I think the engine plate holes were already square.
One thing that comes to mind is that these are both 350s with 1 1/2" exhausts... Would be a tighter squeeze with the 1 3/4" pipes on a 500.