head back from cox and turner, with issues.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Wayne Cole

head back from cox and turner, with issues.

Post by Wayne Cole »

Got my head back, new oversized guides but they have circlips on the top, the plate for the valve springs won't sit flush now, is that normal? Drill holes in plate enlarge? or take off circlips because the valve guides are not going anywhere now with the oversize. bloody inserts have just stripped out, cox and turner put new 1ns in the two centre holes but something was obviously wrong, how am I going to keep the two centre bolts in now? loctite? jb weld? Ive got something coming up I cant send head back now i need a quick fix. cheers :headbang:
IMG_20230711_165636.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Re: head back from cox and turner, with issues.

Post by ajscomboman »

I'd not remove the circlip, the later spring trays were relived to allow for the clip so I'd go that way. As for the helicoil issue, I've made brass inserts and retapped back to 5/16BSF to get around these problems.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

ajscomboman wrote: ↑Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:48 pm I'd not remove the circlip, the later spring trays were relived to allow for the clip so I'd go that way. As for the helicoil issue, I've made brass inserts and retapped back to 5/16BSF to get around these problems.
no option to really do anything fancy with inserts, I need a liquid of some kind. how hot does it get in the rocker box enough to soften super glue? sorry if that is a ridiculous notion to some. JB weld will be permanent pretty much and I don't want that as I just want it running for a classic bike show here in sweden, slow pace around the town, loctite 243 or stronger might work right? also saw a trick to use copper wire.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

ajscomboman wrote: ↑Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:48 pm I'd not remove the circlip, the later spring trays were relived to allow for the clip so I'd go that way. As for the helicoil issue, I've made brass inserts and retapped back to 5/16BSF to get around these problems.
as for the tray my good fellow I see no relief for circlip, it just feels wrong and wobbly. plus with that extra little bit of mass I am unable to get springs in by hand believe it or not, it makes all the difference.
IMG_20230711_212803.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Just fitting some new valve guides with circlips...
Earlier trays for guides without circlips were not relieved. So it's a case of machining the rebate. I assume the later trays have the rebate.
IMG_20230711_214129.jpg
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

What happened to the inserts?
The holes have already been enlarged for the inserts, the bolts will barely touch the sides?
Can't see an option other than inserts.
You're not having much luck with this!
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

Joker_Bones wrote: ↑Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:51 pm What happened to the inserts?
The holes have already been enlarged for the inserts, the bolts will barely touch the sides?
Can't see an option other than inserts.
You're not having much luck with this!
yeah tell me about it! not having much luck mate. the inserts were just too damn small, the "new" correct centre bolts were sent with the head, when I put them in they just pulled the insert right out, it was really tight! size must have got mixed up somehow. I won't give up on this bike though you wouldn't believe how much I have done to it, having never touched a bike like this before I might add, and it was buggered when I got it! it wasn't me hahaha. I was riding around with the two rocker box bolts just glued in and it held up, so I will just do that again. look at the before and after just to show you how much of a mess it was....
IMG-20220902-WA0002.jpg
20221024_121110.jpg
p.s. everything else is great on the engine! just these two bolts, no problems at all with anything else.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

CLIVE!? SPRIDDLER!?
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Yeah... I remember the story from earlier πŸ™‚
Looking mighty fine! I do like the rigid models, I'm gonna treat myself to one, one day.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

Joker_Bones wrote: ↑Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:00 am Yeah... I remember the story from earlier πŸ™‚
Looking mighty fine! I do like the rigid models, I'm gonna treat myself to one, one day.
it really is a small problem actually, two slightly stripped bolts 1 of which I can tighten enough, the other I will just bloody loctite or jb weld in for this huge classic car/bike week, it's quite a thing here in sweden where I live it's a huge deal, like jampot times 10! so it's not a lost cause. and yes the rigid is the best looking I would say! cheers